Monday, December 27, 2010

2010 Books




Here's my End of 2010 Survey from The Perpetual Page Turner

1. Best book of 2010?  I can't pick just one! In fact one that I really loved, Delirium by Lauren Oliver, won't even be officially published until 2011.  My top books read this year are Under the Dome and Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King, Fire by Kristan Cashore, Spooky Little Girl by Laurie Notaro, I Am Not A Serial Killer by Dan Wells, The Passage by Justin Cronin, Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins, Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, Horns by Joe Hill, and One Day by David Nicholls.  Now if a gun was held to my head and I was forced to pick just one book... I'd go with Delirium.

2. Worst book of 2010? The worst book I read was Need by Carrie Jones.  I was underwhelmed by the main character, despite her interest in unusual phobias.  Normally I will read any series I start, but I have no wish to continue with this series. I also quit the House Of Night series by P.C. and Kristen Cast, I just got really bored with the series and yet another main character who seems irresistible to every male that comes into her orbit.  But keep in mind these are both YA novels and I'm 33.

3. Most Disappointing Book of 2010? I'm going with The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.  I was under the impression that this was a life changing book.  But it was just an okay parable filled with extreme obviousness. 

4. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2010? Peeps by Scott Westerfeld, just when I was beginning to think I was over vampires, Peeps brought a refreshing view to YA teen vamps!  Plus, it's nice to read YA from a male perspective. 

5. Book you recommended to people most in 2010? I gave Spooky Little Girl to several people as gifts, because it really made me laugh and I'm a huge, obsessive, but too lazy to stalk, fan of Laurie Notaro.  Speak was the book I recommended during Banned Book week, and I'm so glad I finally read it. 

6. Best series you discovered in 2010?  The Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich, it's just a funny series.  Series I continued to love in 2010 were the Hunger Games and Odd Thomas series.

7. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2010? Janet Evanovich, Lauren Oliver, Joe Hill and Lisa Gardner

8. Most hilarious read of 2010?  Again I'll have to go with Spooky Little Girl by Laurie Notaro.

9. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2010?  Mockingjay by Suzanne Colliins, I just had to know how it was going to end!

10. Book you most anticipated in 2010?  Mockingjay and Full Dark, No Stars.  Loved them both!


11. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2010? Oh, tough one.  One of my favorites off the top of my head was Fallen by Lauren Kate (although the story did not live up to the hype for me):


12. Most memorable character in 2010? Wow, I'm going to have to go with John Wayne Cleaver from I Am Not A Serial Killer by Dan Wells.  He definitely has a unique perspective.  I was also really into minor characters from books, sometimes much preferring them to the main characters (I'm thinking of Beautiful Creatures, the Stephanie Plum series, and Something Like Fate).

13. Most beautifully written book in 2010? I don't know that many others would say Stephen King writes beautifully, but I think he does.  So I'm going with Full Dark, No Stars.

14. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2010? Little Bee by Chris Cleave, it really made me think about how far I'd be willing to go to help someone else.

15. Book you can't believe you waited UNTIL 2010 to finally read? The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. I wrote in my review of the book how it seemed to haunt me, it was always showing up where ever I went.  So glad I finally caved and read it.



Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. I've only read one Stephen King book but I would say that he writes beautifully. Or at least he did in the one I read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speak is such a memorable read.

    Here's my Best Of list: http://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2010/12/sunday-salon-best-of-2010-in-books.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. FINALLY someone who appreciates the genius that is Laurie Notaro! Her autobio books are laugh-out-loud funny and such quick, enjoyable reads. I will have to check out her recent foray into the fiction category now that you've recommended it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm dying to read Kristan Cashore's series -- I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it! I was also disappointed in Need. Captivate was sliiiiightly better -- it left me with enough of a cliffhanger that I'll probably have to read Entice at some point lol. Also, Scott Westerfeld can really breathe new life into anything. He is amazing. =) Fun survey!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so agree with number 3. The book was a major letdown but the book club meeting was a riot. Loved the list...looks like I have some reading to do in 2011.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva