Friday, November 27, 2009

I Just Won NaNoWriMo, Does This Mean I Can Read Again?


I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Take a moment to be awed.

Go on, I'll wait.

I reached the 50,000 goal at about 10pm this evening (actually I hit 50,294 because I was being a good girl and not checking my word count after every paragraph like usual).

Am I done? Heck no!  I think in the end the book I'm writing will be closer to 80-90k, and then after edits back to a nice 70k or so.  I have sooooooo much fixing to do that it's not even funny.  Except some of my mistakes are pretty amusing.  XD

But now I can allow myself to read again.  I just haven't been able to read much this month because I didn't want to accidentally rip off other writers (well, anymore than I could help to).  So I put aside my Generation Dead book, because my novel is a young adult novel, and made little progress in my early Christmas present from Papa King- The Dome.  And I really, really want to read it, but it's huge and every time I cracked it open my own novel somehow managed to glare reproachfully at me despite only having physical form on my laptop.  NaNoWriMo guilt does strange things to a person.

This month has gone by quickly, and for the most part I did a really great job with writing every single day.  There were a couple days (three to be exact) where I wrote not one word.  But thanks to a great early start I was never behind.  I read on someone's blog that the best way to approach NaNoWriMo was to get a lead early on, which is what I did.  Other than the first day, when I managed the minimum of a little over 1667, I was always well ahead.  On average I aimed for 2-3 thousands words a day, which made my days where I wrote little to nothing all that easier to deal with.  Once I passed the 20k mark I even stopped panicking.

Expect some long awaited reviews to post in the upcoming days, but for now I am going to crash.  I've spent the last 3 days with the family or at Write Ins and I am exhausted.  Plus I have to work all day tomorrow. 

Thanks for all the support from all of you guys and gals here and on Twitter.  It meant so much to me, and it really helped spur me on knowing that other people were aware that I was attempting this.  And I'm sorry in advance because I'm going to put you through the same thing come April for Script Frenzy (I just know I can write a horror movie that Tarantino will want to "present"!). 
Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. This is your first novel, right? Congrats. So many people I know decided not to go through with NaNo after all, but I'm so glad you stuck with it and made it through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And yep, it's the first I've written. I still have a ways to go, but I never thought I had it in me to stick with a novel length story. NaNo has just been such an awesome experience! And it's so great to be back in the habit of writing daily (now I need to channel a little of this into my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Now go curl up with a good quick read and relax. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I am totally impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, Kate! Congratulations! Now you can relax and read (R&R)...

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva