Monday, June 20, 2011

Monday Movie Meme 6.20

Sandy over at You've GOTTA read this! is hosting today's Movie Meme, and the topic is depressing movies. She also makes the point between tearjerker and depressing- so while some endings of certain movies like Dead Poet's Society and Stand By Me are sad, overall the movies, in my opinion, are not depressing.  So here's my list:

1. Closer- despite an attractive cast, this movie depressed the h-e-double-hockey-sticks out of me.  It  makes you think that no one, no couple, can ever be faithful.  Plus it was gross to watch Clive Owens talk filthy to Julia Roberts.  Just gross and depressing.  Never, ever again.

2. Old Yeller- okay, I understand that this book/movie teaches children about loss.  But couldn't you just buy your kid a Walmart fish?  I promise you, it won't live long and your child won't be devastatingly depressed for years to come.

3. Dancer in the Dark- Bjork turns out to be a wonderfully charming actress in this film as she plays a dirt poor going-blind woman.  But despite the musical numbers her life suddenly goes from outhouse to sewers, and the whole thing is too depressing to continue typing about.

4. In the Bedroom- I don't like movies where nobody, absolutely nobody, wins or at least escapes unscathed.

5. Boys Don't Cry- now I am not a fan of Hilary Swank, but gives an amazing performance in this movie.  Too bad I can never watch it again because it's so depressing. 

6. Monster's Ball- another movie where everyone loses, and loses big.  Great performances, but overall the message is not one of hope.

7. The Elephant Man- not only did this movie both scare and depress me when I was a kid- but it's the reason that for years and years I had to sleep with between 2-4 pillows at night because I was afraid I might die otherwise.

My last 3 were already picked by Sandy in her meme, but I totally agree:

8. The House of Sand and Fog
9. Grave of the Fireflies
10. Requiem for a Dream
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you on #2, #5, #6, and #7. The others I haven't seen. I would also add the movie "Seven" with Morgan Freeman and Brad Pitt to that list, 'cause it made me want to scrub my frontal lobe with a Brillo pad after.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen some of these so I can't comment, but one of the most depressing movies I've ever seen is The Talented Mr Ripley. So, so, so depressing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a fabulous blog! I’m an author and illustrator and I made some awards to give to fellow bloggers whose sites I enjoy. I want to award you with the Creative Blog Award for all the hard work you do!

    I invite you to follow me, if you haven’t already done so, since we have a lot in common, but no pressure. I’m not giving you the award just so you will follow me. You really do deserve it!
    Take care:-)

    Go to http://astorybookworld.blogspot.com/p/awards.html and pick up your award.
    ~Deirdra

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva