Friday, June 3, 2011

My Stephen King Summer

Have I mentioned my overwhelming love of all things Stephen King?   To say that I am a huge fan of the writer and all his work, his thoughts, his ideas, his doodles, would be an understatement.  Well, I don't actually know that he doodles, but I'm sure I'd love any doodles he doodled.

So I was excited to see his recent article in EW about summer book reads.  He's posted lists before, and I've read some of the books he's recommended (thanks for the intro to Lee Childs and Peter Abrahams, Mr. King!) but this summer I plan on reading ALL the books he's listed. I greatly respect King as a writer, and I have faith that if there's books out there that interested him, then they'd probably hold my attention too.  I can't find a link to the article online at EW, but below is a list of all the books he mentioned.  I'm going to try to stick to the month order, but it'll just depend on how easily I can get a hold of the books.

June Reads: 

Buried Prey by John Sandford (read in June)
Robopocalypse by Daniel H. Wilson (read in June)
The Five by Robert McCammon (ordered)
The Fifth Witness by Michael Connelly (read in June)

July Reads:

The Sentry by Robert Crais (read in July)
The Silent Land by Graham Joyce (read in June)
The Cypress House by Michael Koryta (reading now)
Dog On It by Spencer Quinn

August Reads:

The Accident by Linwood Barclay
Case Histories by Kate Atkinson (ordered)
A Test of Wills by Charles Todd
The Terror of Living by Urban Waite

I am sad to say that other than Kate Atkinson, I have not read any of these authors before.  I have recently read Started Early, Took by Dog by Atkinson, and Case Histories is the first book in that series so it's on my list already.

I'm not making an official challenge out of this, but I'd love to know if any of you out there are interested in joining me in my summer reading odyssey!
Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. I keep meaning to read the books he suggests, but then I just think about the books by him that I haven't yet read and I end up reading those. I finished Just After Sunset last month. But I'd be willing to attempt a few of these books this summer by the pool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Stephan King too. I should read books he suggests but this summer I'm reading his book Under the Dome and as it is soooo long I think that one will keep me very busy. I look forward to your thoughts on the books, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't particularly care for Stephen King's books (The Stand being the exception), but I admire his reading list.

    Robert Crais' Elvis Cole and Pike series are some of my faves. I haven't read The Sentry though. The Charles Todd Inspector Rutledge books are good, too, though they are a bit slower than Crais'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also a huge SK fan. I'm in Australia, so I'll have to try to track down a copy of EW as I'd love to read his comments. They used to publish his columns online, but don't seem to do so anymore. Like you I love everything King writes, and seem to enjoy his columns and the forewords in this books as much if not more so than his novels. There's just something I love about his turn of phrase, and interesting ideas and opinions.
    I read Case Histories on his recommendation which would now have be on my all time top ten list, so I'd be interested in reading through this list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post Kate!

    I think my tbr pile is already at it's tipping point so I better not add to it right now.

    But I would love to hear about how you are liking these. I bet Stephen King would be a fun guy to have laying the map for a reading odyssey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like fun!--but I think I'm like Short Story Slore, I still have so many Stephen King books to read first!!! :) looking forward to your reviews!


    (\__/)nymfaux

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like fun!--but I think I'm like Short Story Slore, I still have so many Stephen King books to read first!!! :) looking forward to your reviews!


    (\__/)nymfaux

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva