Saturday, May 21, 2011

Sisters Red Review

Sisters Red
by Jackson Pearce

From Goodreads:

Scarlett March lives to hunt the Fenris--the werewolves that took her eye when she was defending her sister Rosie from a brutal attack. Armed with a razor-sharp hatchet and blood-red cloak, Scarlett is an expert at luring and slaying the wolves. She's determined to protect other young girls from a grisly death, and her raging heart will not rest until every single wolf is dead. Rosie March once felt her bond with her sister was unbreakable. Owing Scarlett her life, Rosie hunts ferociously alongside her. But even as more girls' bodies pile up in the city and the Fenris seem to be gaining power, Rosie dreams of a life beyond the wolves. She finds herself drawn to Silas, a young woodsman who is deadly with an ax and Scarlett's only friend--but does loving him mean betraying her sister and all that they've worked for?


My Thoughts: I really loved this book. The relationship between Rosie and Scarlett, and their relationship with Silas was wonderful and intricate and complicated. Great, strong female leads... almost makes me wish I had a sister... almost.  I thought the struggle and guilt that Rosie went through was realistic, as was Scarlet's intense focus on hunting the Fenris. I picked this up, expecting a re-telling of Little Red Riding Hood, but it is so much more than that.  I was surprised that it was set in modern times, and the depth of the mythology that Pearce has created is pretty impressive.  I will definitely be continuing with this series, and Pearce is an author to be watched!

Rating:


 
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. This one sounds just to my liking. Thanks for the review. I'm going to have to buy it in book format though, rather than on the Kindle, because the cover art is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, high praise. I keep passing this one up but maybe I should give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cover looks amazing - as your blog does, too.. ;")

    Finally finished my first re-read for the Read me Baby, 1 more Time challenge.. Here's the link:

    http://allthatglistensisnotold.blogspot.com/2011/05/all-night-party-by-andrea-barnet.html

    Have a great Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just got this from the library! Looks like I'll have to get to it sooner rather than later. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kate!
    So glad to meet you via my feature as Cheryl's Shining Star! I love your blog...how unique and cute to use clocks for your rating system, love it! I'm a new follower and looking forward to getting to know you and your blog better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tracy from my bookclub loves this book and dressed as one of the sisters for Halloween.
    I've never given it a chance because of the "strong sister relationship". But I'm glad that you liked it.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva