Saturday, November 12, 2011

Abandon Review

Abandon 
by Meg Cabot
From Goodreads:
Though she tries returning to the life she knew before the accident, Pierce can't help but feel at once a part of this world, and apart from it. Yet she's never alone . . . because someone is always watching her. Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back.

But now she's moved to a new town. Maybe at her new school, she can start fresh. Maybe she can stop feeling so afraid.

Only she can't. Because even here, he finds her. That's how desperately he wants her back. She knows he's no guardian angel, and his dark world isn't exactly heaven, yet she can't stay away... especially since he always appears when she least expects it, but exactly when she needs him most.

But if she lets herself fall any further, she may just find herself back in the one place she most fears: the Underworld.
My Thoughts: I love Meg Cabot but I've really only read her adult novels. And I'm a huge fan of the Heather Wells series- she's one of my favorite literary characters.

Abandon is full of Greek mythology, which I truly love. I had a little trouble connecting to Pierce, the main character, as she seems to make a lot of hasty and thoughtless decisions. I'm not quite sure why a death deity that's been around for centuries would fall in love with a 15yr old girl, who's only claim to goodness is rescuing birds. But then again, instant true love is pretty common in YA romance, so I'll go with it in this series too.

A lot of the first book is merely uncovering what happened to Pierce two years ago, and setting up the mythology for the series. You will be left with a lot of unanswered questions, but that's not always a bad thing. I do want to know how Coffin Night turns out, what's up with Alex and Kayla, and I want to know more about the furies. It just felt a little incomplete, just a piece of the whole rather than a true first book in a series.  There are so many things that are set up, and very, very few plot lines resolved.  I prefer my first books to be a bit more independent. Cliffhangers, I can deal with, but not when almost the entire book is full of them.

Overall I like the series enough to continue with it, but I'm still waiting for my next Heather Wells book (please, I beg of you, Meg Cabot, more Heather Wells)!



Abandon gets a Midnight Book Rating of:


Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I'm very much the same way with my first books in a series. I want there to be enough resolution where if I wanted to, I could stop, but I want it to leave me wanting more, if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read a Meg Cabot book before and I'm on the list for this at the library. I think I might be next...

    I can't get over how beautiful this cover is, and I just saw last week the cover for book two in this series. So pretty.

    I love mythology so much, so I have high hopes!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva