Friday, February 10, 2012

Stolen Review

Stolen: A letter to my captor
by Lucy Christopher
From Goodreads:
Sixteen year old Gemma is kidnapped from Bangkok airport and taken to the Australian Outback. This wild and desolate landscape becomes almost a character in the book, so vividly is it described. Ty, her captor, is no stereotype. He is young, fit and completely gorgeous. This new life in the wilderness has been years in the planning. He loves only her, wants only her. Under the hot glare of the Australian sun, cut off from the world outside, can the force of his love make Gemma love him back? The story takes the form of a letter, written by Gemma to Ty, reflecting on those strange and disturbing months in the outback. Months when the lines between love and obsession, and love and dependency, blur until they don't exist - almost.
My Thoughts: Very interesting premise, and I liked how the Australian landscape acted like a character. The ending is satisfying without being neatly, and unrealistically, tied up. I was expecting more violence on the part of the kidnapper, but the creepiness of his history with Gemma was an unexpected bonus. And although I said the ending was fairly realistic, I found the character of Ty not to be.  I found his treatment of Gemma too... old-fashioned?  I find it hard to believe that someone who be mentally unfit enough to kidnap someone to make them love them, and someone who is physically capable of, erm, "relations", would be okay being friends.  Saying that, I'm not sure if I would have enjoyed it as much if Christopher had written the story the way I thought it would go. I also like the butterfly on the cover, a bit of a nod to The Collector by John Fowles.


 Stolen by Lucy Christopher gets a Midnight Book Rating of:
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. I love when books use the setting as a character, that alone makes me want to read this one!!

    One thing I love about your review? That you clearly had some strong thoughts on how this book would go - makes me want to read it, even if your prediction wasn't spot on... I'm intrigued!

    -Jac @ For Love and Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the that the creepiness was an "added bonus". It made me laugh and also made me want to read it. I've decided, I'm really into creepy (just finished Anna Dressed In Blood... omg!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jac, if the plot interests you, it's a good quick read.

    Steph, ooooh, Anna Dressed in Blood is on my Kindle TBR pile, I really, really need to get to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel like you have read quite a few books involving kidnapping. Am I wrong? I wonder what that is about?
    I enjoyed your review but I don't think I'll be getting to this one. Kidnapping, usually, is just not my thing.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva