Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The Historian- Getting my Edumacation!


I listened to, rather than read, The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova and I have to say that I loved it. I liked it even though it made me learn stuff, because even though the book is about Dracula, it's also crammed with historical facts.  Due to my bum being rather lazy in October and then taking part in NaNoWriMo in November, I'm way behind on my reviews.  I listened to this book during cold October drives in my car. It was the perfect story for the Halloween season.

The audio cd featured many different actors speaking the different characters (including my girl Joanne Whalley Kilmer- although she may have dropped the Kilmer part of her name as she used to be married to Val Kilmer but they're now divorced.  They were in Willow together and then she played Scarlett in the mini series follow up to Gone With The Wind.) I thought that would be distracting, but it turned out to be amazing.  Everyone that read, in my opinion, did a great job of bringing the suspense of the book to life. 

Word of warning though, the audio cd is abridged.  I'm hoping that it's only abridged in small ways (in order to help the dialogue flow) but as I haven't read the book yet I don't know.  I didn't notice it was abridged, and I probably wouldn't have bought it if I had caught that detail in the beginning because I am not an abridged girl.  I recently found out that The Count of Monte Cristo is actually a super long book, and the version I read all those years ago was abridged.  I hate abridgments, it feels like I'm being a lazy reader.  That said, with The audio version of The Historian  there's a reason I didn't catch the abridged part until much later- because it wasn't at all obvious.  So I'm glad I listened to it, and I was always planning on reading the book but I am holding off purchase until I get my Kindle.  And Kindle, you will be mine!

So if you like vampires, the old fashion Dracula kind, and a really good mystery, then I recommend The Historian.  Giving the audio cd a Midnight Book Rating of 11:45pm, and despite the fact I haven't yet read the book, I'm giving the unabridged book of The Historian a Midnight Book Rating of Midnight.

I'm hoping to post at least one more blog before the New Year, but in case I don't get to it (because of the aforementioned lazy bumness)- Happy New Years, Blogger World!!!
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to reading this...you know after getting through the other 4562823 books on my TBR list! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is worth a move up the list. Maybe move it to the top thousand or so. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. this was my first time that i have visited you article and it is awesome ..

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva