Wednesday, December 23, 2009

I Heart Heart-Shaped Box!


Just a quick review from my backed up review list, then back to Christmas wrapping and trying to find a place outside that is snow free enough for my spoiled chiweenine to do her business.


Heart-Shaped Box by Joe Hill kind of rocked.  For those of you not in the know, Hill is the son of author God Stephen King (I love you SK!).  Although his genre might be in the same vein as his pop, Hill is a great author in his own right. 

Why should you read Heart-Shaped Box?  Well, it's an old fashioned ghost story with great characters and two awesome dogs that would make Dean Koontz green with envy.  The main character is Jude Coyne, aging hard rocker (think Rob Zombie without the movie making, or Ozzie Osbourne with normal speaking abilities).  Jude collects the macabre and ends up buying a ghost online.  And just like that song "The Cat Came Back", Jude finds that once you own a ghost they aren't that simple to get rid of, and this particular ghost has an axe to grind with our doomed MC.  Did I mention the awesome dogs? 

I give this book a full Midnight rating, this book will keep you up all night, quaking beneath your sheets as you flip through the pages, your flashlight's beam shaking in your terrified hands... In other words if RL Stine's Goosebump series is too intense for you, then Heart-Shaped Box might be something you should skip.

In case I don't get to say this on Christmas- Merry Christmas Blogging World!  I am looking forward to wonderful New Year full of book blogging, more reading, and more writing.  And world peace, which I asked for again this year, but it's a bit like asking Santa for a pony when I live in the city and have no horse caring skills or budget.  A midnight book girl can still dream! 
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I knew that Stephen King's son was a writer, but didn't know that he was using another last name. I like the idea of buying a ghost online and getting more than you bargained for! Will put this one on my list. Thanks!

    Happy Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great book, I also have Joe Hill's book of short stories- 20th Century Ghosts, but haven't had a chance to read it yet. I may save it for the next readathon!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva