Tuesday, January 5, 2010

13 Reasons Why and 1 reason this book got to me.


13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher was a tough book to read.  It's a story about a girl named Hannah who, before her suicide, makes several cassettes outlining her reasons why.  She then has them sent out after her death to the people mentioned in the tapes.  We the reader hear the cassettes as Clay, one of the names in the tapes, listens to them.  Asher does an interesting job with having Clay commenting in the present as he listens to Hannah's tapes.

The reasons that Hannah ends her life are laid out before us, and even though some of the issues seem minor, to her they made a huge impact.  And that's the message of the story- that how we treat people can affect them in ways we don't consider.  How gossip and innuendo, and just plain indifference can tear away at someone's soul.  Teenagers often commit suicide simply because they don't have long term vision of their life, most live in the here and now, and they can't picture things changing.

I went to high school in a very small town, and my senior year a classmate ended his life in suicide.  At the time it was shocking, but afterwards the signs were so clear that something was wrong. Even though he was not a friend (he had very few), he was in drama and chorus with me.  There are few things that would make me want to go back in time to high school, but the chance to reach out to D and get him through our crappy, small-minded, backwards backwoods high school would be more than enough incentive.

13 Reasons Why, although flawed, shows how easily and unthinkingly human beings hurt one another.  Every time we gossip, every time we turn our back on someone needing a friendly gesture, every time we just pretend not to see someone's pain we cause damage.  The author, Jay Asher, was inspired to write the book after a cousin of his attempted suicide.  Fortunately she failed, and is alive and well today.  Whether you think suicide is a selfish act, a lonely act, or a desperate act, 13 Reasons Why will make you think about your own actions.  And that's a good thing.

I'm giving 13 Reasons Why a Midnight Book Rating of 10pm.  It's a compelling read, it'll be hard to put down, but not a good book to read in the silence of the night.

Wow, this post has been a downer. I feel the need to watch an episode of Golden Girls to get my happy back! 


Pin It!

9 comments:

  1. I really loved this book. It was so powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this in my TBR after reading so many reviews on it. I am very interested in its premise because frankly, I have suicidal thoughts at some points of my life. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, it is a very powerful book.

    Alice, I think if most people are honest, the thought of suicide has at least crossed their minds at one point or another. I think one of the best things about this book is that it shows what happens to the people who have to deal with the fall out of a friend's suicide. I was on the reading team in high school (book nerd even then) and I had to read Vivienne: The Life and Suicide of an Adolescent Girl about a 14 year old girl who had killed herself but had left behind diaries and poetry, which the author liberally adds to the narrative. She already was a brilliant writer, but her depression overwhelmed her. It's such a sad story, because I honestly believe she would have gone on to achieve great things. Both books are a good way of putting things in perspective- life might suck today, it'll probably suck tomorrow, but maybe it won't suck so much in the future. Plus, there's so many books to read, and what if heaven doesn't have a library?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I've never heard of this. Although it sounds really depressing... I feel like it's something I should read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a book that really makes the reader think. Thanks for the review. I am going to put this on my ever growing list of must-read titles. Good thing I work at a bookstore huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tara- depressing yes, but it's also, ultimately a book to learn from.

    Mick- How I don't work at a book store I just don't know. Of course most of my pay would end up being in the form of books, which the Hubs might not appreciate as much as cash.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a deeply moving book. Thanks for the recommendation. I love your rating system, BTW. Very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is in my TBR stack. I totally want to read it, and I'm totally apprehensive about reading it. I've never read a book about teen suicide before. I've heard it's great, and I'm sure I'll think it's great. Just some issues and sadness hit me harder than others. Your own story from high school shows why. It's so sad and often the signs are there under our noses and we don't see them. Ugh. Kudos to you for reading and reviewing. I will get over my apprehension and read it, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Thanks for sharing this book. Sounds like a good read.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva