Saturday, January 9, 2010

Serena- the book not the Gossip Girl!

Serena by Ron Rash.
When this book first came out it caught my eye, but I only recently got around to reading it.  I didn't write the title down when I first read about it and although I knew it was a woman's name it alluded me for months before I finally remembered enough about it to track it down.  Sometimes when you go through the effort to track down a book you get rewarded with a gem of a story, and then other times...

I really wanted to like this book.  It's about a man and woman (the Serena of the title) who are young, married, rich and deadly. It takes place in the late 1920's/early 1930's, an era that interests me.  The man. George Pemberton, impregnates a poor mountain girl before marrying the much more suitable Serena.  The pregnant girl and her dad greet the newlyweds as they arrive back from the east coast.  There's a knife fight.  It's a great beginning.

However, the Pemberton's are in to logging.  And the book goes in to great detail about this subject, which I have to admit loss my interest.  Serena, who turns out to be a bit ruthless and crazy- which I love, is not featured nearly enough.  And it takes a lot longer than I expected for the plot to get to what the blurb on Amazon promises- namely Serena loses the ability to have kids and goes after her husband's illegitimate child and baby momma.  There's a weird Snow White parallel to the story, but I don't know if it's intentional or a sign that I just watched to much Disney as a kid.

I ended up getting through the novel, and there was some good to it.  I just skipped the incredibly boring and dull logging descriptions.  In my opinion the story had more promise than what was offered, but Serena is still a wonderful villain.  I just wanted more of her.

Serena gets a Midnight Book Rating of:


it's a good read, but a little on the slow side at times. 


Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read Serena but I have read one of Ron Rash's other books, One Foot in Eden. I really enjoyed that book and recommend it to you, I'll keep a look out for Serena.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some bits in books should really not be there or be in excess. But still, I'm glad this one still makes you want more of the character.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva