Friday, January 22, 2010

Where Are You Now? Um, right here?

There was a time that I loved Mary Higgins Clark All Around the Town and Loves Music, Loves to Dance were some of my first MHC books and I loved them.  Over the years I've been slightly less impressed with her books, but I have hand it to the lady- she knows how to use red herrings.


Where Are You Now? is a typical MHC book, which is not a bad thing.  The MC is Carolyn, a young lawyer who's brother, Mack, disappeared 10 years ago but calls every Mother's Day.  The book begins with Carolyn getting on the line with her brother and mother and vowing to find her brother herself.  Shortly after she receives a message from her brother warning her to stay away.  She, of course, doesn't listen.

This is not a perfect book, I figured out some things pretty quickly, and I knew who the culprit was, and the "shocking" twist well before I should have.  There were still some surprises and lots of twists.  It's a good, fast read that doesn't require tons of brain power, which is sometime nice.  One thing that I did not like about the book was the constant shift in POV between all the many characters.  Normally I like this style, but sometimes it took me several paragraphs before I realized whose POV it was.

Where Are You Now? gets a Midnight Book Rating of 9pm- it's a interesting enough read to keep you going, but it probably won't have you up all night with bad dreams.

Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review, Kate. I haven't read any of Higgins books. I'm not sure if I would but maybe some day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read a lot of her books about a year ago, including this one. I laughed when you said she knows how to use a red herring - it's so true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still love Mary Higgins Clark's books. I believe all of her books switch pov like that. I think you just get used to her style and know what's coming. But her talent for creating suspense is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep posting stuff like this i really like it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've really gotten into some suspense novels lately (been reading a lot of Tess Gerritsen lately), so expect to see some more Mary Higgins Clark and others gracing the blog.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva