Friday, March 5, 2010

You can find me in Suite Scarlett

Every once and awhile a reading gal like myself catches a break.  Excited over my newly acquired Kindle, I was ready to download books by the buckets.  But then it occurred to me that that plan required a lot of money, money that I really didn't have much of, having blown my book money on purchasing the Kindle.  Lucky me, Amazon occasionally offers books for free. And not just the sucky ones!  Actually, since getting my Kindle, I've read new authors, new genres, and liked them! 

The first book I read on my Kindle was a freebie.  It wasn't from an author unknown to me, I had read 13 Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson last year, and followed her on Twitter- she is wildly hilarious with her tweets.  And for a brief, shiny moment in time Amazon was offering up her book Suite Scarlett for free.  For those of you in the dark, that's $0.00 dollars, which fits into my book budget perfectly. 

Suite Scarlett is about a young teen living in her family's once glamorous but now kind of run down and broke down hotel.  The hotel itself is another character in the book.  Johnson does a great job breathing life into the setting without having the hotel dominate the other characters.  And what great characters!  There's a rich, quirky, former actress that Scarlett is in charge of for the summer, there's her awesome, quirky, handsome older brother, Spencer, and lots of intrigue.  Now, the book is a young adult novel, so I did figure out things before Scarlett did, but as a 32 year old woman, I really enjoyed it.  And I will read the follow up novel, Scarlett Fever, which is no doubt why Amazon briefly made the first book available for free, to get me hooked.  Well, I say well played, Amazon, well played.  It worked.  You want to give me the first book in a series free?  I am on board with that.  And thank you for making it the first book, and not the third or fifth, because I have OCD issues with reading novels out of order. 

Suite Scarlett gets a Midnight Book Rating of 10:30pm, it's a quick, easy, delightful read.  It's no longer free, but with the Read-a-thon coming up just around the corner, it would make a great addition to your TBR pile. 

Oh, and yes, I know I suck for not having blogged in a long time, but I had issues!  I mean, I still have issues, they're just not as issuey now.  And I am reading lots, e-books and regular old paperback/hardback books.  I will catch up, I promise, and bring you lots of reviews and deep thoughts (of the Jack Handey variety) in the weeks to come.  Thanks for hanging in there!

Pin It!

9 comments:

  1. I wasn't fond of Suite Scarlett...

    Jason and I have a kindle, but we never buy books for it. Everything on there is free. We get lots of classics off gutenberg. They're in the public domain. But if you don't like classics, that won't work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have downloaded some of the classics, and we had other books on our computer that we were able to format for the kindle. I do like the price of some of the new titles for the e-books, and it's saving me a lot of shelf space. :) Thanks for the gutenberg tip, I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Free is always good! I wandered over to Amazon today and saw that there were several free ebooks listed, so I downloaded Moonstone by Marilee Brothers. I don't have a Kindle, so will give reading on my PC a try. Barnes & Noble has several ebooks for free as well, so I downloaded their PC reader too. Still prefer a physical book, but thought I'd give the ebooks a chance.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kate! This sure sounds like a delightful read. I know what you mean by free books from Kindle. I've downloaded a few good ones for mine as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is very a pity to me, I can help nothing to you. But it is assured, that you will find the correct decision.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Free e-books are the best! Of course, I have the B&N e-reader downloaded on my pc and have gotten some great contemporary downloads. Even found a freebie of one of the Love Inspired Suspense series that I enjoy, which is Christian romance. I am holding out hope that one day I will find several hundred dollars laying on the ground (it actually happened once before!!) and I can buy a Nook. I am just itching to get one. Have fun with the Kindle. I am jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi there,

    You have a great blog ! Suite Scarlett sounds like an interesting read. And ooh, I've been reading about the Kindle everywhere! I want one too! Do enjoy your reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Guys and Gals
    I'm thinking of replacing my worn out[url=http://www.milesgershon.com][b] Entertainment Center[/b][/url] with a new one from MilesGershon.com -Has anyone bought [url=http://www.milesgershon.com][b] Entertainment Centers[/b][/url]from these guys? I'm kind of concerned about shipping times.

    Cheers

    Fred

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva