Friday, March 26, 2010

The Year We Disappeared

Normally I don't read much non-fiction, and the only true crime novels I read are Ann Rule, because I love that woman.  But the title of The Year We Disappeared by father/daughter duo John and Cylin Busby caught my eye.  The book is a true account of John Busby's near fatal shooting (in which he lost his jaw and almost his life) and his family's struggle in the aftermath that eventually led them to relocate in order to escape further attempts on their lives.  The story is told mostly in chronological order with John and Cylin taking turns telling the events.  While the book was interesting, I have to admit that I wasn't a particular fan of John's story telling skills.  Some of his narrative came across as bragging and boastful, and the ending of the book is abrupt although there is an attempt to fill in some of the blanks.

The Year We Disappeared gets a Midnight Book Rating of a solid 9pm, it won't keep you up late, but you'll probably get caught up enough in the book to want to finish it.  If this type of book interests you at all, then I would recommend Lois Duncan's Who Killed My Daughter?, the author's true account of her daughter Kaitlyn's mysterious murder and possible police cover up. 
Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. I don't read much non-fiction books. I'll have to check out the Ann Rule. I came on over from the book blogger hop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your blog via the book blog hop-I am a follower now and look forward to reading your posts

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't read much true crime, but I make an exception for Ann Rule. She's incredible. Also, really, really want to read UNDER THE DOME, but I don't think the library will let me keep it long enough to finish it :) Might just have to buy it - the thing's enormous.

    Anyway, found you through the Book Blogger hop - so glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't read much true-crime anymore. Found you through the Book Blogger hop, and looked you up because of the YA reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one of Ann Rule's books and hope to read more of true crime. I might give this one a shot in the future. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva