Thursday, May 13, 2010

Verse Novel Challenge

I have a horrible tendency to sign up for challenges and then not fully compete- even if I'm reading the books.  It's a bad habit, but I'm trying to break it.  Caroline of Caroline by line is hosting a Verse Novel Challenge which I signed up for because I actually like verse novels a lot, and I'm reading a lot of Ellen Hopkins these days. 

My first introduction to verse novels, and now one of my favorite books of all time, was Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow. It's an awesome story of werewolves.  I know werewolves are all the rage these days, but this book was slightly ahead of its time.  Loved it.  And then I discovered Ellen Hopkins during Banned Book Week, and it furthered my love for verse novels.  I've even started a journal in verse form, but it's a work in progress (and by progress I mean the government version of progress- there's a lot of bluster, talking, grandstanding and money spent on journal, pens, and misc, but not a whole lot of writing getting done).

So far I've only read 2 verse novels for the challenge, Burned and Impulse, both by Ellen Hopkins.  Of the two, Impulse was by far my favorite as I couldn't really identify with the character of Burned at all.  I'm not sure what verse novels 3, 4 and 5 will be, but I'm taking suggestions.  I kind of think it would be cheating to re-read Sharp Teeth, so I'm putting it out there for others to read for verse challenge- it's a great book!






Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. The only verse novels I know (besides Sharp Teeth, which I'll probably never read but have an autographed copy of on my shelf from ALA last year) are the one Sylvia Plath-related one that got a Printz Honor Award and Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to look into SHARP TEETH! Glad to see you're already two books in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Time to let me know if you've finished. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva