Monday, February 28, 2011

The Ghost and the Goth/Queen of the Dead Reviews

Sometimes a reader gets lucky.


I joined an ARC tour a few months ago and I've been lucky enough to read some really great books that little blogs like mine don't normally have the chance to review before a book's been published.  The tour part of the blog is sadly shutting down, but I'm grateful for the oppurtunity to have read so many great books (Entwined, Stay, Bright Young Things especially!).  Just Another Book Blog is a great site, and Giota will still have amazing giveaways.

I didn't start a book blog in the hopes of hundreds of free books pouring through my mailbox, authors anxiously begging for my reviews... Well, at least not realistically...  However, I'm a fan of books, of authors, and it's nice to occasionally read a book that hasn't been released yet.

I signed up for the Queen of the Dead book tour, despite the fact that it was the second book in a series and that I hadn't read the first book, The Ghost and the Goth yet.  When I got chosen to be part of the tour I rushed to download the first book onto my Kindle.  And I am so glad I did!

The first book introduces us to popular Alona right before she bites the big one.  Sadly, she's killed wearing her gym uniform within moments of being introduced to the reader.  In a cute twist, campus "it" girl Alona is mowed down by a school bus loaded with band geeks.  Now the only person in school that can see her is goth loser, Will, and he's not exactly a fan of hers.  Alona's life is over in more ways than one, her boyfriend and best friend barely wait a day before going public with their PDA, and she keeps disappearing and waking up in the middle of the road where she died.  Will has his own problems, battling a nasty principal and a devious psychiatrist, but it turns out that Will and Alona each have the power to help each other out.

In Queen of The Dead, Alona and Will are back, working together to help other ghosts.  Things start to go bad when they both get distracted by personal problems, and instead of working together they both try to handle things on their own.  Will's discovering uncomfortable truths about his dead dad and finds himself intrigued by a new girl, Mina, who can also see the dead.  Alona is troubled to see her parents moving on with their lives.  Feeling replaced by them and now threatened by Mina's presence, Alona is true dramatic form takes drastic action, leading to even more disaster.

I really loved both books, although I'm not sure how I feel about how Queen of the Dead ended.  There's a major twist, and although I saw it coming I'm still working out whether I like the twist or not, and what it might mean for rest of the series.  No matter what though, I'm sticking with the books.  I love Alona and Will's relationship, and the way that they really balance each other out.  Will and Alona really are better when they're together.  Both books are quick, entertaining reads.  And who doesn't love a good ghost story? 


The Ghost and the Goth and Queen of the Dead get Midnight Book Ratings of 11pm.  With Dewey's 24hr Readathon lurking not to far around the corner, you might want to pick up the first book in the series.  Queen of the Dead isn't out until June!





Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. You review explained a little more to me about the first book. It sounds cute and maybe I will pick it up. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi There!
    Just stopped by to welcome you to the BLB! Glad to have you join us! I'm Barb and I can be found at Sugarbeat's Books

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva