Monday, February 21, 2011

Goodbye to you, Borders!

Oh, Borders.

We had some good times.

Remember that one time when I discovered your Pumpkin Spice Chai and became addicted to it, only to realize that a large sized drink of it made me sick? 

Or the times when I was on a "bank run" for my old job, but really I was checking out your new releases and sales items?  Thankfully I carried a big purse so I could smuggle my purchases back into the store with none the wiser. ;)

You were there for me when I needed books, movies and cds. You had foreign movies that were so hard to find (including the horribly bad decision to buy Irreversible *shudder* but I don't hold you responsible).

I didn't mean to abandon you when I moved to Virginia, I should have made more of an effort to see you.

And to the Richmond Borders- we just met and now it's time to say goodbye... at least until your audio books are marked down to 75% or so. 

Good luck to all the lovely, book reading, soon-to-be-out-of-work Borders employees. May you find hire paying jobs with lots of down time to read.

I didn't buy much, since some Lint Licker decided to steal my husband's debit card number and buy stuff over the internet in France and Germany (I will pull a Lisbeth Salander and hunt down your punk ass and punish you in ways that make Jack Bauer look tame), but here's what I got:


The picture was taken with my phone so its not super clear, but it's trying to show you that I bought:

Across the Universe by Beth Revis (since I am the last blogger in the blogosphere not to have bought or reviewed this book).

A really pretty edition of Jane Eyre- it's one of those books I have somehow managed to convince myself that I've read since I know the story so well, but haven't really.  Credit to my friend Bittner at Abducted by books for inspiring this purchase.

Two Scott Pilgrim pens.

A cute little notebook to keep with me and write down non-Kindle book quotes in.

A Borders reusable bag just because it said Borders on it.

And a handful of Borders free bookmarks.

These could very well be my last Border's purchases ever.  At least until they start making drastic mark downs, and then all bets are off and another farewell post might be spotted on here.




Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. ACROSS THE UNIVERSE IS FREAKING AMAZING!!! I want to go down to a Borders just so I can buy it on discount now. :P Except that I'm fortunate enough to have my local Borders not closing and the only ones that are happen to be 30 minutes away.... So yeah. But anyway its an awesome book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Borders across the street just posted it's final sale signs. I've probably spend the most shopping time in there since moving to Chicago, especially in the beginning when I didn't have any friends. I'll be so sad to make my final purchase there - but at least I'll walk away with a lot of deals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The one in Norman is staying (for now, thank God). So I haven't had to even comprehend what others must be going through right now. Love the Jane Eyre edition though, I loved loved LOVED listening to that book. It is fantastic! Even though I listened to it, I kept my copy near my bed so I could follow along and underline all the good parts. I'm doing the same thing with Mansfield Park right now.
    I have not read nor do I own Across the Universe but I have seen it on peoples blogs. If it is any good you may have to let me borrow it when you come in May.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A lot of the Borders near me are closing but one is remaining open. I am also waiting for the huge mark downs though so that I can get some books for dirt cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. Our friendship wont be able to survive if you keep reminding me about your Dawson/Joey fixation...not to mention your Ted/Robing obsession... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear about Borders. I know I'd be very sad if it happens at my place. Ours in Malaysia are still standing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!

    Bookstores closing, whether they're indie or chain, make me sad.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva