Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Top Ten Characters I'd Name My Children After


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created here at The Broke and the Bookish. This meme was created because we are particularly fond of lists here at The Broke and the Bookish. We'd love to share our lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

Each week we will post a new Top Ten list complete with one of our bloggers’ answers. Everyone is welcome to join. All we ask is that you link back to The Broke and the Bookish on your own Top Ten Tuesday post AND post a comment on our post with a link to your Top Ten Tuesday post to share with us and all those who are participating. If you don't have a blog, just post your answers as a comment. If you can't come up with ten, don't worry about it---post as many as you can!

NEXT WEEK THE TOPIC IS: Top Ten Favorite Love Stories In Books...come on ya'll..we had to be mushy gushy for Valentine's Day! So tell us those romances that made you swoon the most!

Wow, this is both easy and tough... but here goes:

  1. Dane (The Thorn Birds) I've just always loved this for a boys name since the first time I read the book back in my high school days.  My Hubs is convinced that if we name a child Dane then kids will tease and call him "Great Dane" but really, there are much worse nicknames to be had.
  2. Jory (Petals On The Wind) Okay, I realize that this is a name from a VC Andrews book.  I get that.  Doesn't change the fact that I love this name.  I used to just love it for a boy, but I'm thinking it could also be a girls name.  
  3. Clary (City of Ashes, et al) I love this name!  I think it sounds lyrical, and Irish.  :)
  4. Turtle (The Westing Game) I realized long ago that Turtle would be a hard name to sell any potential baby daddy, so instead I named a dog after my favorite shin kicking character.  However that won't stop me from reading the book to my daughter (should I ever actually have kids) and convincing her that it's her idea to start going by Turtle as a nickname.
  5. Odd (Odd Thomas, et al) Maybe not really, but if you knew me then you would know that the chances of me having a child that would totally live up to this name are like 1 in 2.  Or maybe just 100%, it'll just depend on how much damage to our children from my parenting skills that my Hubs is able to deflect. 
  6. Bramble (Entwined)  I think her full name was Bramble Rose, but I just love the name Bramble.  I doubt I would have the courage to name my daughter that, because I will not have the money to send her to boarding school with all the Apples and Suries and Fifi Trixibelles.
  7. Ingrid (Down the Rabbit Hole, et al) I never really loved this name until the Echo Fall series by Peter Abrahams.  I even love the nickname Girdie.  It helps that Ingrid is the smart, mystery solving, soccer playing daughter of my dreams.
  8. Megumi (Battle Royale) I have loved this Japenese name from the moment I heard it uttered in the movie.  The book is even better.  Megumi is not a lead character, and because the novel  and movie and manga is about a bunch of kids being forced to kill each other off I don't feel it's a spoiler to tell you that Megumi is not a winner winner chicken dinner.  Still love the name though!
  9. Charlie (Firestarter) I love little girls with boyish names, although I'd probably name her Charlotte where as in the book I think Charlie was short for Charlene.  I also really like Danny for a girl, but I can't remember if that's from a book or just a preference. 
  10. Rowan (The Witching Hour) Without a doubt this is one of my all time favorite Anne Rice books (although I absolutely hate the two sequels-- sorry, Anne).  I prefer it as a girls name, as it is in the book, but it can be used for both genders.  
And that's it for me this morning.  Off to work many, many hours today (8:30 am to 10pm- ick!).  It's all good though, I get to read at work so I'm hoping to make a major dent in The Handmaid's Tale which I am loving.  Happy readings, ya'll! 
Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. Ah Turtle, one of my favorite characters as well, although I am fond of her real name Tabitha-Ruth Wexler as my name is Tabitha. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great list! Rowan is my favorite from your list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I <3 the Battle Royale movie. I have the book, just haven't gotten around to reading it yet. Good list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally support using the name Jory, despite its origins!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I named my daughter for a book character :D

    She's named for the daughter of Jamie and Claire Fraser's daughter in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon... BEST BOOKS EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The only ones I could think of for my own list would be...
    Odd, of course
    Digory from Magician's Nephew
    Gilbert from Anne of Green Gables
    and
    Jack, which isn't so much for a character in a book as it is for the author behind some of my favorite books which is C.S. Lewis, he always went by Jack and I do have a lot of his biographies.
    Also, for a girl, I really do like Benny from Circle of Friends. I'm not too fond of the actual name of Bernadette but Benny is a cool name!
    Maybe someday I can get a girl dog and a boy dog and name them Jack and Benny! Oh, that would be cute!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva