Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Knife of Letting Go

It's happened.  I'm walking away from a book without finishing it.  Not because the book is poorly written and not because the characters and plot aren't interesting.  I'm walking away because the story is depressing the hell out of me. Here's the book I'm stepping away from:

The Knife of Never Letting Go
by Patrick Ness
From Goodreads:
Prentisstown isn't like other towns. Everyone can hear everyone else's thoughts in an overwhelming, never-ending stream of Noise. Just a month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd and his dog, Manchee -- whose thoughts Todd can hear too, whether he wants to or not -- stumble upon an area of complete silence. They find that in a town where privacy is impossible, something terrible has been hidden -- a secret so awful that Todd and Manchee must run for their lives.
But how do you escape when your pursuers can hear your every thought?


It makes me sad to walk away from this book, but reading it makes me sad.  And I usually really like dark, unhappy books.  Ness is a very capable writer and I think he came up with a very unique story- which is saying a lot considering that dystopian novels are all the rage in YA today.  But I've had to deal with almost 300 pages of poor Todd getting beat up constantly, and of course little Manchee getting put through the ringer.  It was hard enough for me to finish Deathly Hallows after Hedwig bought the farm, and reading about poor puppy Manchee getting kicked a half dozen times is just leaving me with a dark cloud of gloom.

I started the book Tuesday and got quite aways into it.  I didn't realize how awful I was feeling until I tried going to sleep that night.  I was actually a bit sick to my stomach.  I was determined to quit the book then and there, but today I had convinced myself that I was being silly and that the book hadn't made me feel that bad.  But within a chapter I was back to the doldrums. 

Here's the thing- there are characters worth rooting for, there are mysteries that I want the answers to.  I am not by any means suggesting that anyone not read this book (well, except you, Bittner- you, my tender hearted friend, should stay clear of this book).  I honestly don't know if there's some other reason this book is affecting me so much, but for now I just have to give myself a DNF on The Knife of Never Letting Go.   And in case Patrick Ness ever stumbles upon my blog, just know that I haven't given up on your future books- TKoNLG was a page turner and I'd definitely be willing to pick up another book by you.  In this case, it's really not you, it's me.

So, faithful and perhaps not so faithful readers, have you ever walked away from a book with regret?  And has a book ever depressed you so much while reading it?
Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. I can understand why you are choosing to walk away from this. The way you are describing it reminds me of Mystic River. It was a great book with an excellent mystery, but it was so dark and made me so depressed. I did finish it though.

    Usually if I don't finish a book it's because something else has distracted me. Most recently I didn't finish Little, Big by John Crowley-It's a gorgeous book, but it seemed to just go on and on and meander.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, I've had a book depress me so bad I finally just lost it and cried. And not good tears just plain depressed, I need Prozac pills, tears. I made the stupid mistake of finishing the book, though, so well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've walked away from many a book...but I don't think it's ever been because it made me so sad. I sort of enjoy wallowing in fictional misery...although I must say, from your review, this one might be the story that breaks me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no, no, no, NO!! Don't walk away from this book. Patrick Ness has written a creative masterpiece, and in my vast literary experience, comes a close second to the greatest feat in modern literature; The Lord Of The Rings.

    I assure you that this trilogy is a major achievement, though it does get a lot sadder. I would really recommend you read the book. I absolutely loved the book. God, it depresses me even to think of someone walking away from the book. You must finish it.

    I have never left a book i have started before, and i can't understand why so many people dislike the book. it does come as a suprise to me.

    I would love to hear your thoughts on the book, especially if you didn't like it. it would be nice to discuss opposing views. Please, please email me jellybeanz101(at)hotmail(dot)com, or visit my blog saffieenotinschool.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finished Knife, but I did walk away from the sequel, whose name I can't remember off the top of my head, after just a few chapters (not even?) because it was more of the same, bad things happening, no good in sight, and I didn't feel invested enough in the story or the characters to continue on that path.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently did walk away from an audio book I got at the Library. it was called something like "The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted" I thought it was going to be about a woman throwing caution to the wind and giving up her self deprecating behaviors and embracing who she is.

    It wasn't.

    It was depressing, so after two discs I was like "forget it!"

    Thanks for the shout out friend! Don't worry, I will stay far far away!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just picked this up yesterday at Borders. 60% off and I've heard good things about it. Dear Kate, you should steer clear of Hemingway if you don't like books that make you feel sad. His books are wonderful, and they are favorites of mine, but you are so emotionally invested that it drains you for about a week afterward. That's why I read him and take long breaks in between.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva