Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Vacation Post #4

Just a week and a half more of vacation!  I had a few good days of reading this week, but I've been doing a lot of running around here at the beach, so the book I'm reading now may take a few days to finish.  But here's what I've read recently:


This actually made a perfect beach read, the chapters were short, the pictures were interesting- especially how Riggs fit them into the story line with varying degrees of success.  This book was not what I was expecting, I bought the book for the title and pics alone.  It was a nice change to read a YA book with a male main character.  I'm assuming that there will be a sequel, as the ending is a bit up in the air, and quite frankly I want more peculiars.


Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children gets a Midnight Book Rating of:

(an example of the pics inside the book- this one kind of reminds me of A Christmas Story)

The other book I finished was Obedience by Will Lavender (how awesome is that last name?)

I ordered this from Paperback Swap.  The plots intriguing- a Logic and Reasoning class is given six weeks to solve the disappearance of young woman named Polly.  If they don't find her, she will die.  It's all supposed to by hypothetical, but is it really?  The book is told from three of the student's viewpoint.  The plot is dark and twisty, and you never know what's real and what's not.  My only problem with the book is that I didn't connect as much with the characters as I wanted to, and while the ending is complete it left me wanting just a little more.  This is my first Will Lavender book, but I will most definitely be reading his books in the future because even though I didn't love Obedience, it was a fast paced, interesting read.

Obedience gets a Midnight Book Rating of: 


Current Beach Read:
Curse of the Wolf Girl by Martin Millar


This is a sequel to Millar's Lonely Werewolf Girl, which I loved.  And this has more werewolves, more fire element's fashion crisis, more laudanum addiction and more cross dressing Thanes, so it's safe to say that I'm loving this one too!

Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. I love the book - beach photos :D you've made me jealous! :)

    You picked some great books for your holiday. I hope the sun is still shining :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm jealous. I've been to the beach only a number of times and because of that, I get to obsessed with the ocean and walking in the sand to actually sit and read. I must make the effort next time to live the dream! Obedience sounds very intriguing, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last time I was reading on the beach was the week after Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out. Too long. All you picks sound really good. I like dark and twisty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you picked just the right books to read during vacation! Can't wait to read Peregrine's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even though you didn't rave about it the Obedience book sounds really interesting. I'll put it on my to read list and since it isn't to horribly long I may just read it some day....

    miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva