Saturday, December 10, 2011

Blood and Chocolate Review

Blood and Chocolate Review
By Annette Curtis Klause
From Goodreads:
Vivian Gandillon relishes the change, the sweet, fierce ache that carries her from girl to wolf. At sixteen, she is beautiful and strong, and all the young wolves are on her tail. But Vivian still grieves for her dead father; her pack remains leaderless and in disarray, and she feels lost in the suburbs of Maryland. She longs for a normal life. But what is normal for a werewolf?
Then Vivian falls in love with a human, a meat-boy. Aiden is kind and gentle, a welcome relief from the squabbling pack. He's fascinated by magic, and Vivian longs to reveal herself to him. Surely he would understand her and delight in the wonder of her dual nature, not fear her as an ordinary human would.
Vivian's divided loyalties are strained further when a brutal murder threatens to expose the pack. Moving between two worlds, she does not seem to belong in either. What is she really—human or beast? Which tastes sweeter—blood or chocolate?
My Thoughts:  I've been meaning to read this book for years, and I actually saw the movie when it came out, although the plot in the book is fairly different from what I remember about the movie.  I liked Vivian as a character- she's not insecure, she's not whimpy, and she's not a victim waiting for the right boy to save her like so many other heroines of YA.  The struggles Vivian faced were handled well, and her pack dynamic was very interesting.  Normally I don't particularly care for werewolves, but this past year I seem to be enjoying them more and more (the Shiver series, the Lonely Werewolf books).  Vivian's mom is a piece of work, though, and the romance with Aiden definitely does not follow YA teen formula.  All this works for me.  Plus for a 1990's YA book, there's lots of smexy smex going on, which is a bit surprising.  Of course, the 1990's books I was reading as teen were the early 90's and dominated by R.L. Stine (no sex), Christopher Pike (some sex but all older teens) and L.J. Smith (hinted sex, but all off screen and just the "bad girls").  By the time Blood and Chocolate came out I was already in college (and I use "in college" loosely, as I was there, but not really there, as in "not really in class". Which might be why I have a book blog instead of owning a book store- education, people!  Take it seriously!)  So, back to the book, it was good.  I liked it, even though I have as much in common with Vivian as I do a supermodel (which is NOTHING, not even the same species).

Blood and Chocolate gets a Midnight Book Rating of:
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. I saw the movie of this and thought it was interesting. I got the book from the library but never ended up reading it. Maybe I should try again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book in probably junior high, so early 2000s. I LOVED it. I saw the movie in theatres and remember being disappointed by how totally different it was. I should really read it again! It's one of those books I bought because I remembered reading it from the library and loving it, but haven't actually read since. Thanks for the reminder! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen the movie, but I've been meaning to read the book for a long time. I bought it when it was on sale a few months back. I need the world to pause for like... a couple years so that I can read everything I mean to.

    Have you read Jennifer Lynn Barnes's Raised By Wolves series? I think it is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been meaning to read this one too! I'm glad to hear you liked it. I would pick it up from the title alone :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you liked it. I've never heard of the movie unless you mentioned it to me at some point, which is very possible. I'm not a big fan of sex in YA books either so it still shocks me when authors throw it in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've had this book on my shelf for years and first read it a long time ago. And before I got into book blogging, I read the same books over and over with only a few books here and there. Blood and Chocolate is/was one of my go-to books for when I needed something to read but wasn't in the mood for much.

    I saw and own the movie as well. I LOVE the book and I like the movie, but when I think about them together, I get pissed about the movie because they're all older and it's just totally different. The book is soooo much better. I always wished there was a sequel.

    Amber
    The Musings of ALMYBNENR

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva