Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Golden Acorn Review

The Golden Acorn
by Catherine Cooper
From Goodreads:
When Jack Brenin finds a golden acorn lying in the grass, little does he know that it is the beginning of a thrilling and magical adventure. Just an ordinary boy, Jack has been chosen for a hugely important task, and enters a world he believed only existed in legend. Full of twists and turns, talking ravens and mischievous Spriggans, 'The Golden Acorn' is a hugely entertaining and exciting tale from a very talented new author. Your kids will love it, and so will you! This brilliant story deservedly won the Brit Writers' Awards 2010 for unpublished writers and has now been published by Infinite Ideas.
My Thoughts: This book was an impulse buy, but it got me back into occasionally reading a Middle Grade book.  It reminded me of how much I loved The House With The Clock In Its Wall growing up (mostly because Jack is a bit like Louis, just a normal kid), and The Golden Acorn certainly has the kind of magic and adventure that I think kids would be drawn to. I am interested enough to purchase the next book as soon as I finished this (which was last year, and no, I haven't read the sequel yet, but I will!), so it was definitely worth my time to download the free copy from Amazon when they were offering it. I do want to pick up a print copy simply because the cover is so lovely!  Honestly the picture is not doing it justice!  I would share this book with my youngest nieces and nephew, and I think it'd make a great book to read out loud to your kids!  Or heck, if you just like Middle Grade books that contain a touch of magic.  


The Golden Acorn gets a Midnight Book Rating of: 

Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. This one sounds so fun! I love Middle Grade! I'm so glad I'm reading more of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do love the cover and I know how much you respect a book that sounds good read out loud! I'm glad you like this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry this is such a delayed comment but I am still trying to catch up on google reader! I'm not sure the book is for me (though I'm sure I would have been tempted by the word "free"), but I do love the cover.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva