Friday, November 5, 2010

Depp and Burton to do Dark Shadows?!

Image Credit: PR Photos; Everett Collection
 
I'm 33 years old, so I'm a bit young for the original Dark Shadows tv show.  But I'm just the right age to have adored the 1991 short lived series that starred Ben Cross and Joanna Going.  In fact, I loved it.  Dark Shadows was one of my first introductions to the sexy, tormented vampire lover.  My only fear with the remake is that Johnny Depp's innate awesomeness will make the name Barnabas popular and a whole generation of baby boys will be afflicted with the unfortunate name.  
 
So what makes this book related?  Um,...
Oh, yeah!  Seth Grahame-Smith, author of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, will be writing the script, that's book-related enough, right?  And even if it's not, just take a moment to drool over Johnny's beauty.  I'll wait. 
 
I was in 8th grade when the rebooted series of Dark Shadows made it's run.  The main reason I watched it was because Joanna Going was going to be the star, and I'd been a fan of hers from the days when she'd been on Another World (see how terribly old I am?  I bet some of you can't even remember Another World being on the air!).  It was a crazy mix of vampires, witches, ghosts, curses and time travel.  It also made me waste a year in French class my freshman year, fighting to get the french name Josette or Angelique. Sadly I was not the only Dark Shadows fan and I had to settle for Suzette.  
 

Ebay being the wonderful, magical site it is even scored me some comic books based on the 1991 series.  So it's easy to say I'm a fangirl of Dark Shadows, although not as hard core as you fans of the original 1966 series, although I've watched lots of old episodes. I love how better looking Barnabas Collins is getting, from Jonathan Frid to Ben Cross, and now to Johnny Depp.  It's like the vampire's has some kind of ugly duckling to swan makeover.
 
So what of you, my lovely readers?  Are you eagerly anticipating watching Johnny Depp sink his teeth into the role of Barnabas Collins?  Are you wondering just what Tim Burton will do with the crazy mythology that is Dark Shadows?  Or are you wondering if I've lost my mind by awakening past obsessions?  
The answer is, yes, I have lost my mind.  I blame NaNoWriMo and Johnny Depp.  



Don't forget to sign up for my giveaway!  Just follow my friend Bittner @ Abducted By Books to get your chance at winning a $15.00 Amazon gift card!

Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. Depp is an amazing actor, it doesn't surprise me at all he would work on this. Strange is kind of his thing. LOL I am curious to see it. Thanks for giving me some background on it, i don't recall ever watching this older series...hmmm I'll see if it's on you tube.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know the 1991 series is on Netflix to view instantly, if that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH WOW!! Super excited!! I'm 30, I've watched the original and the newer version that was made int the early 90s! My mom and I loved it!! Thanks for sharing!

    Happy Hop,
    Linds, bibliophile brouhaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh... I love Johnny Depp...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched the 1991 Dark Shadows my first year in college. :o)

    LOVE Johnny Depp. I'll see pretty much anything he does.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva