Wednesday, November 3, 2010

NaNo, Horns and more Abduction!

It's that time of year again and I've been sucked back in to the craziness that is NaNoWriMo.  But I'm still trying to make time for you, my blog readers!  I won't get much reading done, which is okay since I've been horribly lazy about review writing.  I'm ahead of my writing schedule so hopefully I can churn out some reviews today.

In fact here's a quick review of Horns by Joe Hill

From Goodreads:
Amazon Best Books of the Month, March 2010: Best known for his terrifying (really) debut novel, Heart-Shaped Box, and his famous dad, Joe Hill continues to make a name for himself with Horns, a dark, funny exploration of love, grief, and the nature of good and evil. Ignatius William Perrish wakes up bleary and confused after a night of drinking and "doing terrible things" to find he has grown horns. In addition to being horribly unsightly, these inflamed protuberances give Ig an equally ugly power--if he thinks hard enough, he can make people admit things (intimate, embarrassing, I-can't-believe-you-just-said-that details). This bizarre affliction is of particular use to Ig, who is still grieving over the murder of his childhood sweetheart (a grisly act the entire town, including his family, believes he committed). Horns is a wickedly fun read, and reveals Hill's uncanny knack for creating alluring characters and a riveting plot. Ig's attempts to track down the killer result in hilariously inappropriate admissions from the community, heartbreaking confessions from his own family, and of course, one hell of a showdown. --Daphne Durham

Joe Hill won me over from the very first short story I read of his. Maybe the fact that he's Stephen King's son swayed me a bit, but he's more than proved himself a fine writer.  I don't feel like I'm reading a Stephen King novel, Joe's got his own style and unique voice.  Horns is fantastic!  I liked it better than Heart-Shaped Box because I found myself relating more to the main character, who's just your average kind of guy until his everyone, including his family, thinks he murdered the love of his life.  There are parts of this book that broke my heart, but by the end it had begun to mend.  There's a saying that honesty is the best policy, and in most cases that's true, but as this book points out, sometimes a lie is kinder.  When Ig wakes up with actual horns growing from his head it makes the people around him tell them their deepest secrets, their true inner thoughts.  It is not a pretty thing.  For me this book is more mystery than horror, although horrific things do happen.  There are some surprises in the book, some nice, some nasty.  Definitely one of my favorites of the year!  Hill is swiftly becoming one of my favorite authors. 


Horns gets a Midnight Book Rating of Midnight, it'll keep you up and flipping through the pages to find out if Ig can find his girlfriend's killer and exact revenge!


And don't forget my giveaway!

Just click on the link to get your chance at a $15.00 Amazon gift certificate (you simply need to follow my friend's blog to be entered!)
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. That book sounds really good Kate, I actually want to read that one :) !! You will have to remind me about it after NaNo.
    Also, I remember hearing an interview with (yours and my fav. author) Maeve Binchy, when she was talking about Tara Road, and she said (I'm just paraphrasing) "The truth doesn't always set you free...sometimes it just causes trouble."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like Joe Hill's HEART-SHAPED BOX. I have yet to read this one, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva