Thursday, July 21, 2011

A Wake Me Up Read

Have you ever read a book that surprised you, more than once?  I'm currently reading The Five by Robert McCammon as part of my Stephen King Reading List Summer Self-Challenge.  I thought it'd be in the thriller/horror genre or crime genre, I'm only 50 pages in, but it's leaning more towards thriller/horror... I think.  I also assumed it was about zombies or some kind of murderous apocalypse based on the cover.


But it's about a band.  On the road.  I have to admit, I was a little put off by that.  I don't know why but the idea of spending time with a band on the road just didn't appeal to me.  I've never read a Robert McCammon book so I have no established trust with him.

Despite my initial hesitation, I must say McCammon has won me over with his writing.  It's a long book, 50 pages in is a mere drop in the bucket, but now I'm anxious for the band.  First of all they are currently in Texas, they're debuting a video on tv that can be seen as anti-war and one of the locals has already warned them not to take a political stand, and now there's a strange girl passing out water and maybe blessings.  I have no idea where this is going, but I'm a little in fear for our band of five.

Plus, I read the author's note in the back where Robert McCammon lists all of the many, many, many bands and artists that helped him write this book, starting with the Verve. He doesn't just list a handful of bands, he lists over two pages of bands.  And it is packed with other groups and singers I like. Now he has all kinds of musicians listed, in no particular order, but the fact that not only does he know who The Call and Toad the Wet Sprocket are but likes them enough to list them has made me want to read everything he's ever written. 

So I went from thinking I'd love the book (which I thought might be about zombies), to thinking I'd hate the book (thinking it was about a band on tour), back to thinking I'm going to love the book (based on McCammon's writing style and superior taste in music).

It's often easy, especially when I get stuck in a genre, to stop being surprised by plots or authors.  It's kind of nice when a book comes along and wakes you up.  A book that says, don't go judging so fast, little miss reader, I've got more than one trick up my sleeve.

What was the last book that surprised you?
Pin It!

9 comments:

  1. Interesting! Haven't heard much about this book but it does look very intriguing.

    A book that last surprised me.. hmm.. is it so bad that I can't even think of any?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books that surprise you. The last one that surprised me, and don't laugh, was The Boyfriend List. It looked like such a silly light teen read and, it was, but it had such depth and truth in it that it totally shocked me. I look forward to your full review once you finish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read Boy's Life by McCammon. His best novel. Swan Song is his best horror novel by far, and a monster of a book at 1000 pages or so.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HGLEWIS I couldn't agree more. Swan Song is my all time favorite

    ReplyDelete
  5. If this is your first McCammon book, then I am a bit envious of you! You still have all of his wonderful novels to read. I have read them all, and will continue. He is a great writer and often overlooked in the horror genre. Definitley read the rest (there are many) you won't be disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robert McCammon is my favorite. I wish I had never read Boy's Life, so that I could read it again for the first time. My favorite after Boy's Life would be Swan Song, followed by Usher's Passing (basically an expansion of Poe's "The Fall of the House of Usher"). I haven't read all of his books, but I've read several and they're all amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, you lucky, lucky girl! McCammon is one of the best writers out there; better by far than King. Zombies? Night Boat. Horror? Lots. Thrillers. Lots. SciFi monsters. Those, too. Ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances. Yep. All so well written you'll stay up all night to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a huge Stephen King fan also, and seem to have very similar taste in books to you, so I beg you to read Boys Life, you will love it, it is my all time favourite book (and about due for a re-read I think!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I solemnly promise that I will read Boy's Life by Robert McCammon! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva