Thursday, January 5, 2012

Digit Review

Digit: She's Got Your Number
by Annabel Monaghan
From Goodreads:
 Farrah "Digit" Higgins may be going to MIT in the fall, but this L.A. high school genius has left her geek self behind in another school district so she can blend in with the popular crowd at Santa Monica High and actually enjoy her senior year. But when Farrah, the daughter of a UCLA math professor, unknowingly cracks a terrorist group's number sequence, her laid-back senior year gets a lot more interesting. Soon she is personally investigating the case, on the run from terrorists, and faking her own kidnapping-- all while trying to convince a young, hot FBI agent to take her seriously. So much for blending in . . .

My Thoughts: I immediately clicked with Digit.  Oh, not over the whole math genius thing because I can barely add and subtract simple numbers (which might explain by checking account balance at any given time).  I bonded, instead, with Digit over our shared love for bumper stickers.

I love bumper stickers- how I've managed to not rear end someone whilst trying to read their stickers is one of God's small miracles.  I was instantly in awe, and jealous, of Digit's wallpaper of bumper stickers.  I even understood her dilemma about not being about not being able to commit to putting one of her own car.  I've only ever put one on a car I owned (IRL for Ireland, small, oval, and unobtrusive).  Partly because it's hard to find a perfect bumper sticker, and partly because the Hubs is not a fan of bumper stickers. But for Christmas my sis in law, Amy, got me some truly awesome Zombie Family window stickers (me, the Hubs, our dog and two cats), which will be going on my new (not yet purchased and only new to me because we buy used) car. 

Okay, I got way off track, so back to Digit.  I liked her even though aren't exactly similar.  I tend to hide my ignorance from my friends, while Digit hides her awesome math genius abilities from her popular friends.  I don't particularly care for the way the author insinuates that popular kids can't be smart, but really it doesn't bother me too much.  I was a theater, band manager, reading team nerd in school.  I had just enough social status to avoid getting picked on (for the most part), but not enough status to garner any positive attention from the It crowd either.  So, screw the popular kids.  They're probably too busy going to parties and doing cool kid stuff to read this book (let alone this blog) anyways. 

I read the ARC, so I can't guarantee these quotes, but here they are anyway:
I wasn't really in my comfort zone, and I couldn't remember the last time I'd talked about numbers with anyone but my dad.  Talking about them with normal people always ended up being a little isolating.  It's as if they hear me out and then slowly back away, like I was holding a gun instead of a pencil.

Was this guy too old to be cute? I mean cute in a nerdy-wasn't-cute-at-the-beginning-of-the-movie-but-was-super-hot-by-the-end sort of way?
The biggest fault with Digit is that the plot isn't particularly realistic, and Digit does some dumb teenager stuff (like keeping her cell phone?  This from a girl who watches CSI?), but the fact that I like Digit and her sexy FBI man goes a long way in helping me to suspend my belief in order to accept the less than realistic set up (like John's uber spy CIA parents with a hidden house that supposedly even the government doesn't know exists...).  I put up with it because it's fun and I really like the chemistry between John and Digit.  Yes, he's 21 and she's 17 (18 in June!) but their extreme youth and intelligence cancels out the creep factor. Plus, when I was a kid I was a huge fan of 21 Jump Street, and I entertained fantasies of Johnny Depp's Officer Hanson going undercover at my junior high and falling madly in love with me.  Sadly, the up and coming movie remake of 21 Jump Street looks more like the old Police Academy movies... again, off topic.

Overall it's a fun, cute read- like Clueless meets the FBI.  It was a fun way to kick off my reading in 2012!


Digit: She's Got Your Number gets a Midnight Book Rating of:

The expected release date in  June 5th, making it a fun summer read.  Hopefully they'll tweak the cover design a bit, as I am not loving this.

Disclaimer: I read this book as part of the Around the World ARC Tours, receiving a copy of the book to review honestly before passing it on.  All opinion, snark, and wit is my own. 
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. I had never heard of this one, but it sounds super cute! And I love the whole "Digit" thing - even if I suck at math! This sounds like one I could really enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first time hearing of this one. Nice review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is cool that you like to read so many arcs.

    I used to have a dodge shadow that was covered with bumper stickers when I was in high school. Then I grew out of that stage and started to only put magnetic bumper stickers on my car. Now, I only have my Red Sox one, and it is flaking off horribly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've developed more of a fondness for magnets. Not that I don't like bumper stickers, but I don't like commitment. It's why I have/have had/want more piercings and haven't gotten a tattoo yet (even though I have a growing list of all the tattoos I want). But I digress. This sounds kind of fun. I might check it out if my library gets a copy this summer.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva