Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Not So Sweet Valley Review

Sweet Valley Confidential: 10 Years Later
by Francine Pascal
From Goodreads:
Ten years after graduating from Sweet Valley High, the Wakefield twins have had a falling-out of epic proportions. When Jessica commits a complete and utter betrayal, Elizabeth flees to New York to escape the pain and immerse herself in her lifelong dream of becoming a journalist.

Jessica remains in California, dealing with the fallout of her heart-wrenching choices. She has a career she loves and lots of old friends, but misses her sister, her oldest friend. With Jessica as her enemy, Sweet Valley is no longer the idyllic town of their youth.

Jessica longs for forgiveness, but Elizabeth can't forget her twin's duplicity. She decides the only way to heal her broken heart is to get revenge. Always the "good" twin, Elizabeth is now about to turn the tables...
My Thoughts: I was so excited about this book, I really was.  Growing up, I read so many of the Sweet Valley High books, learned so many lessons from the twins and friend's mistakes, and fell in love with Sweet Valley.  But I have to say this book disappointed me so much.  Some characters were just completely ruined for me (really, Pascal, Winston Egbert grows up to be a jerk!), Elizabeth was whiny, Todd was bland as ever, and Jessica was no where near as sparkly as usual.  Stephen and Cara, a couple I adored in the series, whole past was trashed, although I understand that Pascal wanted to make Sweet Valley a little more PC.  I get that, but I wish the characters could have kept the personalities I once loved.  The saving grace, for me at least, was Bruce Patman.  I actually adored him in this book, although at times in the series I disliked him.  Bruce in this book is the only character that appears to actually have matured, and it reminded me of his love for Regina.  The writing is pretty sub-par so I'm not sure exactly who the intended target audience is supposed to be, most YA books are better written and I'm pretty sure that most people buying Sweet Valley Confidential are former 80's tweens like me.  I just expected so much better.  It just felt like Pascal was trying too hard to go all Gossip Girl on this, but even in the Gossip Girl books the characters are more likable.  So can I recommend this book?  Not really.  But honestly, the bad reviews wouldn't have kept me from reading this book.  And I will give Pascal credit for giving me a brief glimpse of Jeffrey French, who in my opinion was Eliabeth's best match and not that lame-ass Todd Wilkins and his "coffee colored eyes".  Yeah, I'm bitter.

Sweet Valley Confidential: 10 Years Later gets a Midnight Book Rating of:
 Let's just hope they leave the Babysitter's Club alone!
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. I meant to read this last year. Courtney and I went all crazy nostalgic, I bought 32 old SVH books on eBay (for $38!), and I read half of them last year and then just stopped. I still want to read the rest of them before picking this one up. And I'm with you - the bad reviews won't keep me from reading it, but your review helped me come to the decision that I need to check it out from the library, rather than buy it. Thanks for that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I remember most about Sweet Valley High is being a little too young to read them. But I would check them out of the library and once my mother was reading one of them to me and Jessica was in a hot tub and this guy took off her bikini top and then my mom freaked out. hahaha. I was pretty young--definitely not in double digits yet.

    And I always enjoy your reviews of disappointing books, although I am sure you would rather not be disappointed.

    I wish they would do a book like this for the babysitter's club. (someone tell me if they did!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book was a big fat disappointment to me, for many of the same reasons you mentioned. (In fact? I'm kind of shocked you rated it as well as you did...)

    I loved Jessica, Elizabeth and the rest of the gang when I was growing up and was really excited for a reunion - but this felt like it was just thrown together haphazardly...

    -Jac @ For Love and Books

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm in the middle of still trying to read some of the old ones but I've got to tell you those books are really bothering me. The writing can be so cruel and shallow at times that it makes me not like any of the characters at all.
    I bet when I finally do get to read the 10 year later book I wont be bothered by it all in the same way you were.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva