Friday, January 27, 2012

Pandemonium (Delirium #2)

Pandemonium (Delirium #2)
By Lauren Oliver
Expected Publication: 02.28.12
From Goodreads:

I’m pushing aside the memory of my nightmare,
pushing aside thoughts of Alex,
pushing aside thoughts of Hana and my old school,
push,
push,
push,
like Raven taught me to do.
The old life is dead.
But the old Lena is dead too.
I buried her.
I left her beyond a fence,
behind a wall of smoke and flame.
Lauren Oliver delivers an electrifying follow-up to her acclaimed New York Times bestseller, Delirium. This riveting, brilliant novel crackles with the fire of fierce defiance, forbidden romance, and the sparks of a revolution about to ignite.
My Thoughts: Pandemonium swings between the past (Lena escaping over the wall without Alex and finding sanctuary with over "invalids") and the present (Lena being all tough and working for the Resistance).  Both in the past and present she is haunted by the memory of Alex, and the realization that Hana has had the cure.  In Delirium, Lena had to wake up to the truth that the government hid, but in Pandemonium her struggle is physical as she strives to regain her strength.  Without Alex, Lena is lost.  She finds a new family of sorts in the wilds, and ends up working with the resistance.

Through this she meets Julian, poster child for the cure.  Lena and Julian end up thrown together.  He is as naive as she once was, and Lena finds herself in the role that Alex once took with her.  Julian is hot and sweet, but Alex is never far from Lena's mind. With Alex dead, is Lena going to be able to move on?

Lots of new characters are introduced in Delirium, and they all add to Lena's story.  There are so many wonderful moments and back stories, especially Blue's history.  I challenge you not to tear up when you get to that part.  The only part I had trouble with was how Lena ended up working in the resistance, the jump seemed skipped over.  One minute she's living in the woods and struggling to survive, and the next she has a new idenity, a fake cure scar, and she's living in a new town.

I'm not sure I loved Pandemonium as much as I did Delirium, although the fault may lie more in the numerous dystopian novels I've read this past year than in Oliver's writing. Pandemonium was a great, compelling read.  It would be an  extreme understatement to say that I'm eager to get my hands on the third book.  The ending of Pandemonium, while not completely unexpected (I gots skills), still leaves you suckerpunched.  In a good way.  Maybe. Still, it's a great dystopian series, and if you only make room on your shelves for one or two dystopian novels, than this series definitely rates a place. 

Pandemonium gets a Midnight Book Rating of:

Pandemonium gets a Midnight Book Cover Rating of:
I loved the subtleness of Delirium's cover, and this one doesn't really do much for me.
Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. Sounds good. I can't wait to read this one. And I'm with you. The new covers are striking (which is probably why they changed them), but I like the first Delirium cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read Delirium yet. That does sound like it would be an interesting dynamic though, to have the girl who was the naive one in the last book be the mentor in this one. I don't know that I'll get around to this series but I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I'm excited to read this one. I really enjoyed Delirium so I can't wait to read this sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice review! Can't wait to read this one, as I just finished Delirium not that long ago. Love that you found it compelling, as sometimes book #2 isn't as good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adored Pandy so much! I didn't quite love it as much as Delirium (I'm a HUGE, gigantic Alex fan!) but it's definitely up there :)

    I'm surprised by how many people didn't see the ending to Pandemonium coming- like you, I predicted it. But the third book is totally going to be KILLER and oh so emotional.

    Thanks for sharing your review!

    Brenna from Esther's Ever After

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva