Sunday, January 22, 2012

Drive Review

Drive
By James Sallis
From Goodreads:
Much later, as he sat with his back against an inside wall of a Motel 6 just north of Phoenix, watching the pool of blood lap toward him, Driver would wonder whether he had made a terrible mistake. Later still, of course, there’d be no doubt. But for now Driver is, as they say, in the moment. And the moment includes this blood lapping toward him, the pressure of dawn’s late light at windows and door, traffic sounds from the interstate nearby, the sound of someone weeping in the next room....”

Thus begins Drive by one of the nation’s most respected and honored authors. Set mostly in Arizona and L.A., the story is, according to Sallis, “about a guy who does stunt driving for movies by day and drives for criminals at night. In classic noir fashion, he is double-crossed and, though never before has he participated in the violence (I drive. That’s all.), he goes after the ones who double-crossed and tried to kill him.”
My Thoughts: A lot different from the movie, but in someways even better. Driver's quest for revenge is even more bloody and successful in the book. While characters like Shannon in the movie have a smaller role in the book, great side characters like Doc and Manny add flavor to the story. Plus, I was still able to picture Driver as Ryan Gosling, so the book was a total win. It does not have the sweet, subtle romance that the movie had, but you get Driver's back story which helps you understand why he is the way he is and how he's able to do what he needs to do in order to survive.

Seriously, even if the summary doesn't interest you even if my opinion doesn't sway you, buy the book just for the yummy Ryan Gosling cover. 

Drive get's a Midnight Book Rating of:

The book cover gets a Midnight Book Cover Rating of:
Because Ryan's so delicious!

And my attempt at a Ryan Gosling meme:

Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Oh dear! I didn't even know this was a book. :( I haven't seen the movie either but I want to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously love Ryan Gosling. And the book sounds great. I didn't see the movie, but I'm definitely intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the middle of watching Crazy Stupid Love right now and it is sooo funny but I haven't been able to watch Drive yet. I didn't think it looked that good, but I guess if you saw the movie AND read the book then I must have missed something

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva