Monday, September 26, 2011

Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs Review

Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs
by Molly Harper
From Goodreads:
Maybe it was the Shenanigans gift certificate that put her over the edge. When children's librarian and self-professed nice girl Jane Jameson is fired by her beastly boss and handed twenty-five dollars in potato skins instead of a severance check, she goes on a bender that's sure to become Half Moon Hollow legend. On her way home, she's mistaken for a deer, shot, and left for dead. And thanks to the mysterious stranger she met while chugging neon-colored cocktails, she wakes up with a decidedly unladylike thirst for blood.
Jane is now the latest recipient of a gift basket from the Newly Undead Welcoming Committee, and her life-after-lifestyle is taking some getting used to. Her recently deceased favorite aunt is now her ghostly roommate. She has to fake breathing and endure daytime hours to avoid coming out of the coffin to her family. She's forced to forgo her favorite down-home Southern cooking for bags of O negative. Her relationship with her sexy, mercurial vampire sire keeps running hot and cold. And if all that wasn't enough, it looks like someone in Half Moon Hollow is trying to frame her for a series of vampire murders. What's a nice undead girl to do?
My Thoughts: I downloaded a sample of this book some time ago and I remember thinking it was funny and I eventually bought it for my Kindle.  And like so many book purchases, whether digital or paperback, it lingered on my tbr shelves.  Last week I was I started reading it while at work and I found myself wondering why the heck I hadn't read it before!


Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs is not my usual kind of read.  I usually prefer my supernatural a little more dark.  But Molly Harper is such a fantastically funny author that I just want to share her with the world!  I found myself highlighting so many passages just because they had me snorting and laughing out loud.  Jane Jameson is such a great heroine, very easy to relate to, especially for book lovers.  And while there is romance and much hotness, there's so much more!  This is the best book to read if you need a laugh, if you need to take a break from the more maudlin reads, or a quick pick me up. 

I had a hard time choosing what quotes to include since there were sooo many quotes I have highlighted, but here's a few to give you an idea of Molly Harper's awesomeness:
"It caught me off guard, and I accidentally bit down on his bottom lip hard enough to draw blood.  The good news was he liked that, so I came off as provocative, no inept."

' "Air-quote fingers aren't attractive on anyone, honey," he said, using his authoritative teacher voice."

' "You have a lot of unicorns," he said, his voice shadowed in both awe and horror.'

"She turned to me and put on her "sales face." "Jane, have you ever had a vision?"
   "I had a reaction to antibiotics when I was five and saw tigers jumping out of the walls," I offered."

"I felt like the first anonymous fighter who gets killed off in the Jean-Claude Van Damme cage-fighter movies."
I have a feeling that Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs will be the start of a wonderful relationship between me and author Molly Harper.

Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs gets a Midnight Book Rating of:

*obviously, for my readers who are vampires, sleeping in the next day is par for the course.*

Has anyone one else read any books by Molly Harper?  I know I've seen a lot of buzz on the blogosphere about her Naked Werewolf series.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I loved this book hard core! It was so much fun :)

    Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you liked this one. I've never heard of Molly Harper. I'll add this one to my tbr list on Goodreads, but at 384 pages, I don't know how fast it will make it up the list.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva