Saturday, July 21, 2012

Odd Interlude Review














Odd Interlude
by Dean Koontz
From Goodreads:
Nestled on a lonely stretch along the Pacific coast, quaint roadside outpost Harmony Corner offers everything a weary traveler needs—a cozy diner, a handy service station, a cluster of motel rooms . . . and the Harmony family homestead presiding over it all. But when Odd Thomas and company stop to spend the night, they discover that there’s more to this secluded haven than meets the eye—and that between life and death, there is something more frightening than either.
My Thoughts:  Odd Interlude is a novella in three parts that includes more ties to the Moonlight Bay books. As I may have mentioned, possibly in every blog post I've ever written, I love Odd Thomas.  I also possibly have a crush on David Aaron Baker, who narrates the Odd Thomas books, and soon I will no doubt be obsessing over Anton Yelchin, who will be playing Odd in the upcoming movie.
From IMDb: Anton Yelchin (aka Odd)
 
Odd has become a slight obsession of mine, or may in fact be a full fledged obsession, I'll let you be the judge of that.  And yes, I am aware that some of you reading this are the same bloggers that I begged at BEA to help me get my grubby fan-girl hands on a copy of Odd Apocalypse. My crazy worked though, Kim helped me accost a Power Reader to get a copy.

So even though I got a copy of the ARC for Odd Apocalypse, I couldn't read it right away. No doubt you think I'm insane, but in my defense I wanted to read the novella Odd Interlude that was releasing in 3 parts over the last month or so.  I may have loosened up some in regards to reading series out of order, but I couldn't do that to my Odd one.

In Odd Interlude, Odd and Annamarie are still fleeing frome the events of Magic Beach, so the story picks up immediately after Odd Hours.  Odd and his strange abilities are drawn to Harmony Corner- a family owned motor-court and restaurant.  Things in Harmony Corner are not very harmonious though.  There aren't any ghosts or bodachs here, but there is some crazy evil that Odd must battle with, which he does in true Odd fashion.  He's still a reluctant hero, but as always he is compelled to help those in need.

We also meet twelve year old Jolie, who is a typical preternaturally smart Koontz kid.  Unlike the other Odd books, some of the chapters in the novella are told from Jolie's POV, which I loved.  I think Jolie and I are going to start the Odd Thomas fan club.  She sees Odd through the same rose-colored glasses that I do.

Odd Interlude has plenty of action and mayhem- mutant creatures, super computers, families held hostage, secrets, car jacking and other hijinks are perpetuated on and by Odd.  Fortunately Annamarie plays a small role in the story, because her mysteriousness has begun to wear thin on me.  I don't remember disliking her in Odd Hours, but she was definitely annoying me with her Yoda like answers in this novella.  She'd better start giving some answers in Odd Apocalypse!  She's like and enigma wrapped up in a pregnant riddle.  I do like her dog though, so that's something, right?

So is Odd Interlude worth it?  For Odd fans it's a must!  I don't think you have to read it before Odd Apocalypse, but it's just another chance to be looped in with the Odd one. ;)

Odd Interlude gets a Midnight Book Rating of:


Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. I am currently on page 285 of Brother Odd and will be doing everything in my power to finish it today! Then I can start the audio for Odd Hours.
    Now, as far as Odd Interlude goes, on Amazon it says you can buy it and have it sent to your "kindle or other devices" so does that mean that if I buy it can my "other device" just be my laptop and it will be like a pdf file? Or will have to borrow someone else's kindle for a day and try to speed read all three parts.
    Also, I have a hard time associating the real David Aaron Baker as Odd because (even though I love the audio books) I always think of him as the guy who liked spankings on Sex and the City!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Odd is not a slight obsession with you, it's definitely full fledged. I feel bad that I haven't read any of these books yet.

    I also can't believe that you haven't read Odd Apocalypse yet! I thought for sure you would have jumped right in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bittner is going to borrow my Kindle and I'm going to download these for her. I still need to read Odd Thomas! Especially since so many people love (and are obsessed with) him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I'm thinking I'll need to read these before Odd Apocalypse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You make me laugh. This makes sense though. I understand why you haven't read Odd Apocalypse. And rose colored glasses indeed. At least you know it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I read so much Dean Koontz back when I loved scary books. And his book about his dog (A Big Little Life) made me love him foreverandever.

    I'm sorry I missed you accosting that poor Power Reader. I must have been off doing something else, like helping Kristin at GrowingUpYA stalk the Sourcebooks booth...

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva