Wednesday, February 27, 2013

A Midnight Girl Book Necklace!

My lovely sister-in-law, Amy, and my niece Grace (okay, it's mostly Amy) have gotten into the Origami Owl business!  They special in gorgeous charm necklaces and I ordered my first necklace last week.  You design your own necklace, so I made mine with a bookish theme.  I know, go figure.  You can order online here (or just browse to see what all they offer) or throw a jewelry bar party (which I will be doing in March- and if you're in the VA area, you are invited!). There are so many choices, and the prices are good- but I had to stop myself from going too crazy!

 I was so excited to get my cute little pink box in the mail (they send directly to you) within a week of ordering- but I did pay $3 more for fast shipping.

Inside the box was a little card showing birthstones and a little Chinese Take Out box full of jewelry!

Inside the Take Out box.

 The box contained my charms, the chain, a plate for my necklace, a dangle, a cute little fortune cookie shaped jewelry holder, and the locket.

 And here's my necklace!  The key is a dangle that I hang on the chain along with the locket.  Inside the locket is a back plate in rose gold that says ALWAYS, with for those of you in the know is a Harry Potter reference.  The charms inside the locket are: 2 birthstones, one for May (my birth month) and one for March (for the Hubs- the key is also because he, and books, are the key to my heart), there's a little laptop charm because of the book blog, a cup of coffee because books and coffee go together like chocolate and EVERYTHING, and lastly I have a Heart To Read charm.

So I was thinking about my friends, and what charms I would add to their lockets (obviously all ya'll would get the Heart To Read charms, natch).

 For Kim, I'd make her a Packers necklace, with green and yellow birthstones (two of each) with a football helmet, and football charm, plus the one that says Family- because Kim loves her family and her family loves Packers football.

For Courtney, I'd definitely add a baseball charm, a coffee charm, 1/2 of the best friends charm (guess who'd have the other half?), the Heart My Dog charm, a heart charm for her David Levithan Loveathon.

For Steph, I'd add the lipstick, purse and high heel shoe because it reminds me of her blog, the vintage typewriter charm, the wine charm, and the apple charm- for New York and for being a future teacher (which would work for Kim too!) and the running shoe because she is always at the gym! And maybe the margarita charm too.

For Pam, I'd add a fleur de lis for New Orleans, the steampunk charms (because they remind me of halloween), I'd add some green and purple birthstones for Mardi Gras, the Hamsa Hand charm for Daughter of Smoke and Bone (which I just found, how cool!) and a suitcase for all the bookish traveling she does.

For Cindy I'd add a fleur de lis too, since she's in Quebec and the maple leaf charm too, an apple for New York, an owl charm (and owl dangle!), the Mom charm (in aqua to match the owl's eyes) because Cindy is an amazing mom, and a hockey charm to represent her son.

For Andrea, obviously the book charm in a given for everyone, but to that I would add letter charms - DFTBA, because she's a diehard nerdfighter.  Honestly, this would work for several of my friends.

For Katie I'd add the kitty charm, the laptop charm, the sewing machine since they don't have a cross-stitch charm yet, and the number charms for 90210. :)

For Jen I'd add the letter charms for Y and A, the apple charm,  the laptop charm, the hummingbird charm since it's the closest to the mockingjay they have, the Hamas hand charm for Daughter of Smoke and Bones too, and an angel wing charm- in part for all the YA angel books, but also because she's a giveaway angel to all of us!


So if I win the lottery, ya'll are all getting necklaces!!
Pin It!

9 comments:

  1. Aw Kate you are too sweet to mention me and I so love what you would put in my charm. You are the bestest :) I will have to go and check out the site and you do know that i will you to that if you win LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I typed a whole comment on my phone and got an error message -- grrr!
    Anyway, I love this idea. Thanks for the virtual charms! And I'm always looking for good ideas so I will check out the website!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How super sweet is that? I love all of your symbolism.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! You know me so well! I so want to come to the jewelry bar party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sweetest, most thoughtful post ever. I love my virtual necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww, thanks for the sweet post! So cute! And you're right, I'd definitely have DFTBA in mine! Now I'm thinking of all the other things I'd add: birthstones for me, the hubs, and the kiddo, a Harry Potter charm, a Doctor Who charm, a pen or laptop for writing/blogging... Hmm, I may have to put this on my wish list for Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seriously you are awesome! Your vision fits me perfectly... and fits everyone else as well :)

    Also, because I know you are just dying to know, Fast Auto Loans opened at 9:45 this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG. That is so awesome!!!!

    I love your post too and your obvious love for your friends. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this so much. So much. And your vision of my perfect necklace... perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva