Sunday, January 16, 2011

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets Review

It's been a long time since I read the second book in the HP series.  It's probably my least favorite in the series... if any could be considered a least favorite since I love them all so much.  I was delighted to read scenes I'd forgotten about- Sir Nicholas' Death Day party, Hermione fighting with the Slytherin girl.  And of course it's the first time we really get to know Ginny as a character.  Ron comes into his own as a humorous character (almost all the best lines from the book are his).

Again, I'm not going to do a review of the book, but I will say that Fawkes totally wins my heart in this book... and by the end Dobby didn't annoy me. :)

Here's some quotes I love:

'"No," said Ron, without hesitation. "Hearing voices no one else can hear isn't a good sign, even in the wizarding world."'
     ~Ron

'"So Dobby stopped us from getting on the train and broke your arm." He shook his head. "You know what, Harry? If he doesn't stop trying to save your life he's going to kill you."'
     ~Ron

"... and Madam Pomfrey was pleased to report that the Mandrakes were becoming moody and secretive, meaning that they were fast leaving childhood."



Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets gets a Midnight Book Rating of 11pm.  For me the series took off with the 4th book, but I'm looking forward to a re-read of Book 3... and Lupin and Sirius!

Challenges this book qualifies for:



*additional challenges in labels










Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. +JMJ+

    This used to be my least favourite in the series, too. Then I did what I like to call "my own personal Potter-thon" a few weeks ago and realised that Book 5 is actually the one at rock bottom for me. =S

    Today, my main issue with The Chamber of Secrets is its randomness--the diary, in particular, seems to come out of nowhere and makes no strategic sense. I think I was also disappointed that Neville wasn't played up as a character. =( At the end of The Sorcerer's Stone, I was so sure that Harry's group of friends was going to expand into a foursome that learning that they didn't was a big let down.

    It got better for me with Book 3--which was my favourite for so many years, until my reread. Now my favourite is Book 4! =P

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to be reading this tomorrow when I take the bus back to Penang. I was re-reading the first book on yesterday when I was in the bus to Kuala Lumpur from Penang. I'm so glad you're reading the series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw I want to reread this series! Even though I still haven't read the last two in the series. Its on my TBR list for this year though! :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again, wonderful quotes! Ron is probably my favorite character in the books because he's so funny!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva