Saturday, January 15, 2011

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone Review

As part of the Potterthon challenge this month, I decided to start over at the beginning of the HP series.  I've recently re-read book 7, and book 6 is my go to audio book when I'm trying to sleep.  Sadly, re-reads of books 2 and 3 have been neglected for a long time.

I'm not going to try to summarize or avoid spoilers in this review.  By now if you're a book blogger who hasn't actually read the series, you no doubt are familiar enough with the storyline.

I wish I'd been blogging back when I first read this book, or at the very least journal writing, but sadly it was about 10 years ago when I started the series.  My friend Jessica innocently passed on a couple of books in a series that her little brother had been reading, simply telling me that I would love them.  How right she was!


Instead of a lengthy review I'm just going to share some of my favorite quotes from the first book:


'I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory, even stopper death-"'
     ~Severus Snape (aka my boyfriend)


'"We could have all been killed- or worse, expelled."'
     ~Hermione


'''Very safe, as they're both dentists."'
     ~Hermione

'"Harry's is better than ours, though," said Fred, holding up Harry's sweater.  "She obviously makes more of an effort if you're family."'
     ~Fred

'"Yeah," said Ron, "and lucky Harry doesn't lose his head in a crisis- 'there's no wood", honestly."'
     ~Ron

'"Yes, Severus does seem the type, doesn't he? So useful to have him swooping around like and overgrown bat."'
     ~Quirrell

'"Alas! Ear Wax!"'
     ~Dumbledore


Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone gets a Midnight Book Rating of 11pm- the further the series goes on, the more midnight worthy the books become.  If for some reason you've put off reading the HP series simply because you're one of those people who are turned off by any books that become too popular- fear not.  The series will wait you out patiently, until you finally give in and overcome your Muggleness.


Challenges that I'm participating in that this book qualifies for:



*additional challenges in Labels





 









Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. Love those quotes! (and the book) My favorite quote from Sorcerer's Stone is "Clearly fame isn't everything." From Snape describing Harry's dismal potion skills.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, Snape is so snarky. I can't imagine a better actor than Alan Rickman for the role. Not sure if I loved Snape as much before or after the movies, but I agree that's a great line!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm re-reading this series too - man I missed it~ :o)

    I am totally one of those people who usually avoids something when it becomes crazy popular, but luckily I started HP young!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed re-reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the quotes!! I love Snape's quote....I really just LOVE to HATE Snape! And the Overgrown bat quote is so great!

    Thanks for doing the Potter-Thon!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva