Thursday, May 31, 2012

Bringing the Crazy to BEA

I may have mentioned this a time or ten, but I'M GOING TO BEA!!!  The time can be counted in hours now, even for a math challenged gal like me.  

I said it on Facebook, but I'll sum up my expectations here too:  it's kind of like Sex and the City, but with far less sex and lots more books... still that same amount of alcohol though!


For the last two years, BEA was a dream that my heart dared not speak aloud.  But you know what?  That was stupid! Because all I had to do was mention to my friend Kim from On the Wings of Books, and presto, changeo, magic! We were going to BEA!  We met and plotted with our friend Steph from The Fake Steph, we ordered business cards and discussed what baked goods to tempt Maureen Johnson with when we meet her and finally make her our friend. Kim and I found two awesome bloggers to share our hotel room with: Cindy of Cindy's Love of Books and Kellie of REAWrite.  Thankfully Cindy is a veteran of BEA, so Kellie, Kim and I will be clinging to her like baby kangaroos climbing out of their mama's pouch.  We may have to give Cindy and honorary "K" name.

So, what's the point of this post?  Well, like many of my blog posts... there really isn't any point.  But lots of other bloggers are posting a getting to know me, or how to NOT act like a spaz at BEA, or what they're packing.  Since I'm a newbie I can't really say what to pack, and it's a foregone conclusion that I'll be acting like a spaz at BEA, so I thought I'd post some pictures so that you can recognize me.  Feel free to say hi, or ask for my business card since I bought a butt load of them (depending on the size of your derriere, but trust me it's a lot!).  You can call me Kate or Katie.  I go by both, and I'll probably introduce myself as both.  I normally say Katie, but write Kate.  You can also call me Hey Girl, especially if you look like Ryan Gosling, or you know Ryan Gosling.

So here's me:
 
See, I can somewhat hide my crazy (biggest tip, narrow the eyes, nothing says crazy like BIG CRAZY EYES).  My hair might be straightened, but I doubt it since I'm lazy and that would require a lot more work.  Plus it's supposed to rain and my hair will end up a frizzy, fly-away mess anyway.  But here's what I look with straight hair and a smile/sneer (I guess the sun was in my eyes? And what the hell was I thinking in trying to squeeze my ass into a playground swing?)


Here's what I'll look like if I get a copy of Odd Apocalypse or Shadow of Night:

There will be stars and happiness and probably birds bursting out in song.


It'll be all Sad Panda Face if I don't get a copy of new Odd book, but there's few books I'm going in with the expectation of getting my grubby paws on, so hopefully any books I do get will send me into a state of pure euphoria. 

I'm leaving Sunday morning at the UNGODLY hour of 4:10am, but the upshot is we'll be in NYC by noon.  I'm taking MegaBus, which is a cool double decker bus.  I'm staying through Saturday, so if you want to hang out, I am available.

I'll be going to Blogger Convention on Monday, I'm going to the John Green breakfast, and I'm doing a cocktail party for Laura Moriarty, author of the amazing book The Chaperone, and then later that night The Penguin Bird Bash on Wednesday.  I'm doing Teen Carnival too.  Not quite sure what else I'll be doing, other than I know I'm hitting The Strand at some point!  I have to buy Courtney from Abducted By Books a little something, and perhaps leave a note from her somewhere in the stacks for another book lover to find.  

Also, for some reason I appear to be packing lots of black and blue clothing for the trip.  So, look for the blogger who looks like a bruise, and there this Midnight Book Girl will be. There's still so much to do before BEA, and I can't wait to meet all of you.  And for those of you who aren't going to be at BEA, or can't be there, there's always Armchair BEA, which is a blast as well.  

Before I started book blogging it didn't feel like I had that many people I could really talk books with, even my bookish friends didn't read as much, or the same books book as I did.  Our book blogging community has changed a habit that used to isolate me from others into something that allows me to connect to so many other people. And because of all of you, I'm going to New York, baby!
Pin It!

15 comments:

  1. Can't wait to meet you!! It is going to be a blast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to meet you!! It is going to be a blast!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are going to have such an amazing time! And I love your hair in that first picture! I say, let it go wild!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have fun! I know your face will be a lot more ecstatic if you get the new Odd book. In fact, I have the feeling that if you get it your euphoria will be so great that I'll feel it from way across the states! ;) If I suddenly get a crazy happy feeling I'll know it's happened.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! I found this link through Jen's blog (Crazy for Books). Just wanted to say Hello to fellow a BEA-goer :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. A coincidink! Is that even how you spell it? Ah well. I'm going in on a MegaBus tooooo! But mine is from Baltimore and it'll only be a little over three hours to get there. I hope to see you around there...will you be at the Random House breakfast? I know I saw that Steph will be. I will definitely take a card! I re-ordered more too, but now I'm not sure if it's enough haha! We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG Kate you had me LOL with this post. I can't wait to meet you on Sunday agh that is in two days. Are you ready and excited? See you soon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, hey! *waves at your face*

    I'm bummed I'm not gonna be there, but you all have an AWESOME TIME and I shall meet you and force snacktime bonding upon you some other time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have fun and please afterwards write down some tips as I will be attending the Dutch version in September.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know the Dauntless and Eriudite hate each other. WHAT ARE YOU DOING??

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so excited!!!! We are going to have so much fun!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Too excited that BEA is almost here! Looking forward to meeting everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  13. "You can also call me Hey Girl, especially if you look like Ryan Gosling, or you know Ryan Gosling." LOL!!!

    You guys are going to have a fantastic time! I'm so excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It was so nice getting to know you at table 7 and running into a familiar face after... I hope you had a great time in NYC and keep in touch!

    Julz

    ReplyDelete
  15. That totally IS what your face looked like when you got that copy of Odd Apocalypse. It was so cute how you ran around showing everyone. :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva