Friday, March 29, 2013

Feature And Follow: Emo-tion

Feature & Follow is hosted by Parajunkee and Alison Can Read.

Today's Question:

Q: Tell us about the most emotional scene you’ve ever read in a book – and how did you react?

Wow, this is kind of tough one.  Books often rip my heart out on a regular basis. I'm going to expect a lot of Harry Potter in the answers, but with HP I was prepared for death,  although I wasn't expecting the one that happened in Book 6, which I totally convinced myself was faked...  

There are too many books and scenes to choose from!  But here's one I vividly remember: Warning Spoiler in the explanation: Die Softly by Christopher Pike.

It was the first time I'd read a book where the main character dies.  It totally took me by surprise.  The book was narrated from the mc's point of view!  Herb is so brilliant in the book, and I thought for sure the detective was going to get there in time... but that didn't happen.  It shocked me, and ripped my heart out.  The whole confrontation with the killer was tense, but I kept thinking somehow Herb would escape.  I realized then that main characters can die, that authors sometimes choose to kill off popular characters.


I'd also choose the first book in the Odd Thomas series, but I won't spoil that one.  Let's just say there's a scene at the end that made me cry so hard (you know, the great big hyperventilating kind of sobs) that I had to pull the car over because I was listening to the audio.  

What about you, what books have tore your heart out and stomped on them?
Pin It!

19 comments:

  1. I really want to read Odd Thomas now! I must be a glutton for punishment. It's got to be the sign of a good book if it can make you feel so strongly though.

    New follower! :)
    My FF

    PS. I love your banner :) especially the kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I picked Odd Thomas too! I am still upset about that!

    And I totally forgot about Die Softly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's easy to make me cry, not so easy to make me sob like a baby though.

      Delete
  3. Crying during an audiobook is the worst. And, I read Odd Thomas so long ago, I don't remember the sad part. Gonna have to read that ending again....My FF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you go to Kim's blog On the Wings of Books, she listed the spoiler for Odd. ;)

      Delete
  4. lol...I too tried to convince myself that his death was fake! In fact I was convinced until like half way through Deathly Hallows! I haven't read Odd Thomas yet, but it is on my TBR pile, at least now I know to be prepared for a cry. I will have my tissues!

    New Follower GFC!
    My FF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really just thought he'd figured some way to fake it so that Harry would learn not to rely on him and so Snape could win points with Voldy. lol

      Delete
  5. Hopping through. I feel heartless but I didn't cry when Dumbledore died. I did cry when he came back in DH though.
    My Hop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't have to feel heartless, Alison! I cried more over Hedwig than I did Dobby, so I always feel a little bad for that.

      Delete
  6. Harry Potter is very popular today.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/03/feature-follow_29.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured it would be, Harry Potter is kind of the language that most book bloggers speak. ;)

      Delete
  7. haven't read these but will check them out :)

    old follower!
    http://myloveforfilmsandnovels.blogspot.com/2013/03/feature-follow-19.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love finding new books through these memes, even if I do have hundreds of unread books already! ;)

      Delete
  8. Oh yeah, I teared up a little at the end of Odd Thomas...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Harry Potter was mine. When hedwig died. Damn Owl had me crying for hours :)

    New Follower GFC & Twitter

    LOVE Your heading picture! That doll is great :)

    Michelle@Because reading is better than real life...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! Hedwig is a heart breaker. I read his death wrong, and thought he just fell out of the cage, so I kept waiting for him to fly back into the story, but when that didn't happen I had to go back and re-read that part. Which sucked.

      Delete
  10. Hi, new to your site. Clicked the link from Dewey's readathon sign up.

    Die Softly sounds like an intriguing read. I don't know if I would've thought of HP but because you've mentioned it, it's all I can think of!
    Emotional scene... hmmm... in The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight when the main character, having met the potential love of her life, goes her separate way at the airport. It really pulls you in for the rest of the story.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva