Sunday, March 27, 2011

Day 5 and Book Club Rant

Another day, another horror movie.  Hosted by Dollar Bin Horror

Day 05 - Your favorite monster movie:

The Descent- I have no idea what the hell those cave thingys were, but they scared the crap out of me. I think they were meant to be humans evolved into sub-humans from living underground, making them a close relative to those good ol' boys in Deliverance.




Short Book Club Rant:

My book club meets at Barnes and Noble in the cafe.  We often close the place down, talking about books and just about every other topic we can think of.  We're a friendly bunch.  In the middle of book club, after having been there for over 2 hours, a young woman came up to our tables (there were 6 of us, so we had 2 tables) and told us in a saccharine voice that basically we were talking too loud and she and her friend were trying to study.

Now I have no problem with people using the cafe to study.  I understand the allure of coffee and snacks to fuel you as you read, write, or research.  But it's a cafe, not a library.  If you need quiet to study then perhaps a book store cafe on a weekend night is not the wisest choice.  And if you do choose to study there, you do so at your own risk.  Which we sweetly pointed out to the young woman.  I don't know if she saw it our way, but she sat back at her table and didn't attempt any more noise interventions with us, since we stayed another two hours.

I'm honestly slightly offended that she came over to us and scolded us is her fake nice voice (think Dolores Umbridge, I seriously suspect the girl has kitten plates decorating her room at home).  We weren't being loud, the cafe was very crowded.  There is much laughter during our book club meetings, so I can see that would be annoying if you were trying to concentrate on complicated math (they had fancy calculators).   And I can see them wenching about us behind our backs. But to actually come up to us and scold us like children talking during study hall is offensive.

I was, I am, offended.  Although, since I hate math, I'd be pretty testy if I was trying to study too.  But I would have gone to a library, not a cafe, on a Saturday night.  And I wouldn't sit down by a clearly advertised book club- oh, that's right, we have a sign.

Rant over.  I know I probably overreacted, but that admonishment put a small damper on my book club fun.  It's the one night a month that I get to spend with women friends under the age of 80 discussing books and movies about books, and then invariably Kathrine will bring up Star Trek and we'll have to talk her back down from deep space. Or I'll bring up Stephen King and/or serial killer trivia.  So, you know what, math girl?  I'm not alright with you clouding up and raining all over my parade.  But I do have some thoughts on what you can go do with that calculator...













Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. You made me laugh this morning. Thanks. I totally agree--they study at their own risk. And, some libraries will let you bring coffee. Sound like you have a great book club group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you. Go to the library, little girl, and take your sense of entitlement and your fancy calculator with you. it's like she went to the symphony and got upset because the music was too loud for her to sleep. Really?!

    She probably approached your group because you appeared to be the least scary. HA! If only she'd known about your serial killer factiod penchant, or your dark nefarious plans for her calculator, she'd have approached the table of Charles Manson fanboys instead. :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I for one, would LOVE if people didn't use our stores as study halls! Especially now that seating is basically limited to the cafe in ours. Come in, buy a coffee, browse a newspaper or magazine and GO HOME!! Don't take up a table for 8 hours!! We are not a library...and for that matter, our store is not your living room. Don't sprawl out on the floor take off your shoes and block the aisles. It's a retail establishment for crying out loud!!! Hehe, see, I can rant too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Annette: It took awhile, but our book club is really turning into something special!

    Holly: You totally nailed it, she definitely felt a sense of entitlement! We did talk about serial killers later on, so maybe that's why she didn't disturb us further...

    Michelle: Our B&N has no outlets in the cafe, so I have no idea why they even come to study. At least our book club always buys food and drinks (and usually a few books before the end of the night!). But I've seen the cafe squatters you're referring to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so you already know how I feel about the annoying girl, but I didn't know you watched The Descent. I actually wrote a paper on that for a women's studie class. It is a league of its own when compared to other horror flicks. The all female cast broke a lot of horror girl sterotypes. Loved the movie.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva