Monday, March 21, 2011

Samples and Quotes #1


The awesome thing about being a Kindle owner is getting to sample books before I buy them.  Every book that I see on my Google Reader that catches my fancy, and I'm off to Amazon to download the sample so that I not only try it out, but remember the name of the book.

Here's the problems: I was up to over 80 sample on my Kindle, and I hadn't touched them in months.  So now I'm in the process of going through them.  A few are from books I've already downloaded or read, so I immediately delete those, but the rest are carefully read and I either write the name down in my little book of Quotes and Thoughts,  or the delete is final. 

The other day was rainy and I had some time on my hands.  Now, I could have read one of the many books I'm currently involved with but the main reason I haven't gotten to my samples is because I feel like I'm wasting my time.  So I made a project out of it.  And I found a few good quotes to add to my book list, and several books I want to read (I put an asterisk by the ones that need to go straight to the front of the TBR line).  I've still got about 50 more to get through... *shivers*

Occasionally I'll be posting book quotes to share with you all, and so away we go:



"Occasionally I still had trouble with the idea that I was in the world but not of it, if that makes senses."
     ~Queen of the Dead by Stacey Kade (ARC so it may not be final)

"It's hard to explain but when she's angry, it feels as though someone has put me together incorrectly like a bookshelf with a row of upside-down books."
     ~Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

"Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed."

'"Narnia, Narnia, Narnia, awake.  Love. Think. Speak. Be walking trees.  Be talking beasts. Be divine waters."'
     ~The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis

"It's like this every time we're in the same room; nothing has changed in the year since this whole mess started- she's tracking me, I'm tracking her.  The defense department would kill to have radar this good."

"Kathryn was the kind of person who was alone a lot.  Nobody ever left me alone.
   Hanging out with her, we could be alone together."
     ~Rival by Sara Bennett Wealer

*This one's from a movie... deal with it*
"He used to be a dick.  He's not a dick anymore."
     ~The Postman Always Rings Twice (the lawyer is explaining that his employee used to be a private investigator).

"Kim's never said anything like that to me- I'd rather kill you than have you be fat.  But she never just accepted me for the way I was.  She was always, "Let's try this new diet.  We'll diet together.  I could always lose ten pounds." She was thinking, And you could lose a hundred."

"I hadn't noticed until now how fat she is.  I mean, I noticed she was fat.  Fat kids always notice other fat kids so they can compare themselves and think, I'm not that fat."

"I like her.  She seems to be at peace with herself.
   I think Emily has courage."
     ~By The Time You Read This, I'll Be Dead by Julie Anne Peters.

"She saw the face of a complete stranger and memorized every detail.  A blond man with intense blue eyes and a tilted, angular face about a foot from hers.
     "Hello.  My name is Anders Jonasson.  I'm a doctor."'
     ~The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest by Steig Larsson (this is only meaningful to me because I have a major crush on the hottie Swedish actor who plays. Dr. Jonasson in the movie.  And he does have intense blue eyes!).

"The best men are not consistent in good- why should the worst men be consistent in evil?"
     ~The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

"Welcome to Sudden Death- or as I like to call it, Suprise Demise, room 1118."
     ~Spooky Little Girl by Laure Notaro

Okay, I've bored you enough!  Feel free to share any good quotes you've run across recently in my comments!



 

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I really like that Wilkie Collins quote! I'm planning to read that book this October, closer to Halloween.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva