Monday, March 28, 2011

Readathon Is So Near I Can Taste It!

I can't wait for April 9th!

There is something magical about an approaching Readathon, something in the air that makes me buy and check out books at an alarming rate, something that reminds me to request off work for that weekend, and brings to mind all the snacks I'll need to buy to keep me up and reading!

Two of my real life friends are participating this year, which makes me over the moon happy!  Courtney can be found at Abducted By Books (and she's doing a giveaway!), and Katherine is currently hard at work on making a book blog. I just looked and she has her blog started, just no posts yet- feel free to give her a follow anyway at KatByrdie!

For those of you that might be unaware of what Readathon is, or overwhelmed at the thought of trying to do a 24 hour event, fear not!  First and foremost, Readthon is a book reading event, full of mini-challenges, giveaways and fun!  And of course, books.  You do not have to stay up the full 24 hours... I usually take a nap in the wee hours of the morning, waking towards the end to tweet til the end.  A lot of people have things that they have to do that day, and here audio books can be your best friend.  Those with kids will often have their kids read along, which I think is awesome!  It doesn't matter if you're a super fast reader, of a slower paced reader, you can read as much or as little as you want.  In fact, I've signed up to cheerlead the last few Readathons, and have had a blast.  I'll be doing it again this year.  The one thing I'll do this year differently is that instead of posting every 2 hours, I'm just going to make 4 posts, and update them with whatever challenges I'm doing at that time.  That way I don't blow up someone's Google Reader... I don't want to be unfollowed for posting too much!

The mini-challenges are fun, ranging from easy to thought-provoking.  But the best thing of Readathon for me?  Connecting with all of you on Twitter!  Reading used to feel like such a lonely hobby, but since I've found a community of book loving people, it no longer feels like that.  I can't wait to see what others have to say about books I'm reading, or being introduced to books I haven't met yet.  During Readathon I really get the sense of all the bloggers I'm following me, and I always find some truly wonderful new blogs and tweeters.

So if you're participating, leave your Twitter name, and I'll give you a follow.  If you're tottering on the fence, then leave a comment and I'll give you a push into the Readathon garden!

I'm currently working on my Pile O' Books for Readathon, which will be towering and completely unrealistic but fun to construct and take pictures of regardless.  Here's some pics of past Readathon piles (of course, one I'm using as my blog pic):

*See my first 2 were completely ridiculous!  I did better with my last one, because most of those were graphic novels, with a manga and a children's book thrown in along with a few YA.  I still did not complete the pile, but I came the closest to doing so ever. 

What book are you most looking forward to reading during the Readathon?


On another note, today is Day 6 of the Dollar Bin Horror Movie Challenge.

Day 06 - Your favorite vampire movie?


Since I already picked The Lost Boys for a different day, and there can be no repeats, I'll choose From Dusk Till Dawn.  I actually own this script... and have acted it out with friends whilst drunk... and not so drunk.  I still use lines from that movie ("Okay, ramblers, let's get rambling.")  Of modern vampire movies, I really enjoyed The Hamiltons and if you did too then you need to read The Radleys by Matt Haig. You'll thank me later.
 




Pin It!

8 comments:

  1. I was so bummed when I missed the last one. Readathon is completely my excuse to say, "Sorry...reading!" to everything. I am way too excited, and (yes) planning my snacks.

    Looking forward to The Flight of the Eisenstein by James Swallow. It's been a while since reading the last Horus Heresy book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pretty sure that I signed up. Wow that sounds pretty stupid but I really cant remember. Twitter @lmm831

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link :) I'm really excited about the read-a-thon too! I am going to read Laurell K. Hamilton like no other and just go through as many of her books as I can! Your tweets are going to keep me going!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still need to do a read-a-thon, but I have guests that weekend. And I love From Dusk Til Dawn and The Lost Boys. Also love Interview with the Vampire - Tom Cruise as Lestat freaks me out and makes me laugh. He did such a great job with that role.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have the same taste in movies as well as books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I bought "From Dusk Til Dawn" on a whim with a gift card, but only watched it twice. I'm not a big Tarantino fan, or Clooney fan, so I'm not sure why I bought it really. Maybe it was on sale? I can't remember.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like we have similar tastes in both books (and movies!). Looking forward to following your progress through the 24 hour readathon. This is my first time doing the readathon and I'm really looking forward to it. Good luck to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have signed up for the readathon. This will be my first time. I am looking forward to it, but a bit unsure what to expect. my Twitter name is Tracydurbs

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva