Wednesday, March 2, 2011

I Love You Beth Cooper Review

I Love You, Beth Cooper by Larry Doyle
From Goodreads:

Denis Cooverman wanted to say something really important in his high school graduation speech. So, in front of his 512 classmates and their 3,000 relatives, he announced: "I love you, Beth Cooper."
It would have been such a sweet, romantic moment. Except that Beth, the head cheerleader, has only the vaguest idea who Denis is. And Denis, the captain of the debate team, is so far out of her league he is barely even the same species. And then there's Kevin, Beth's remarkably large boyfriend, who's in town on furlough from the United States Army. Complications ensue.
I read the book I Love You, Beth Cooper in 2009 and loved it.  My friend Courtney picked it as our book club selection, and while she picked out a lot of great books during our book club days, this was my favorite read.  It's like reading an 80's movie novelization.  For those of you who have weak bladders, you may need diapers to read this because you will laugh until you pee.

The movie version of the novel kind of sucked.  It had its moments, but the book is a million, trillion, gazillion times better.

The audio version that I listened to (that I bought for under $8 at Barnes and Noble) was narrated by Paul Rust, the actor who played Denis Cooverman in the movie.  For the most part I think he did justice to the character, although I would have preferred a narrator without ties to the movie version.  Fortunately, Rust did all the voices so I didn't have to live through Hayden Panettiere's struggle to play complicated It girl, Beth Cooper.

I Love You, Beth Cooper is full of 80's quotes and modern teen angst.  The first half is the best, and at times Denis and Rich's constant beat downs can be a bit "been there, punched that".   Doyle, who's written for Daria and Beavis and Butthead, certainly knows how to make a reader laugh.  This book may not change your life,  but it may force you to change your underwear.




I Love You, Beth Cooper gets a Midnight Book Rating of 11:30 pm.  I have no doubt that I will be re-reading this book again in a year or two. 




Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. I won't be watching the movie, even though the premise amused me. Glad to hear the book is so much better - I might have to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva