Monday, August 20, 2012

Bout of Books: Goals and Update Post


Bout of Books Read-a-Thon


So it's that time again, a week long readathon hosted by Bout of Books.  Just the thing I need to make up for all the reading I didn't do on vacation.

Here's some of the books I hope to get to:


A Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy (this is a re-read)
Let The Devil Sleep by John Verdon
The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
Origin by Jessica Khoury
Carnival of Souls by Melissa Marr

Plus hoping to make some more progress on the audio book Criminal by Karin Slaughter.

Time Devoted to Reading

I will be reading all week.

My Goals

  • To read five books and make progress on audio book
  • write 10 reviews
  • comment on every bout of books participant at least once
  • have a real presence on Twitter (I've been lazy about commenting and connecting since BEA, and there's no excuse- bad Midnight Book Girl, bad!)

Books to Read

  • A Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy (this is a re-read)
    Let The Devil Sleep by John Verdon
    The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater
    Origin by Jessica Khoury
    Carnival of Souls by Melissa Marr

Updates


Monday
Number of books I've read today: 1/4th of a book
Total number of books I've read: see above answer
Books: 103 pages in Let The Devil Sleep by John Verdon
Challenge: From Reading in Texas and  The Space Between comes this first challenge, simply tell what happens to your books after you read them.
My Answer: I usually keep them.  Sure, I'll lend them to friends and family, but I'm a book hoarder.  Occasionally I'll donate a large pile to Goodwill or the take some to a senior assisted living home, and I trade some on PaperBackSwap, but mostly I keep them.  I'm a re-reader, I like to re-visit old friends.  I get easily attached to books.  And of course, I also buy lots of ebooks too, so of course I keep those (and I don't have to feel guilty about that!).  I did sign up for BookCrossing and I'm going to give it a try just because it sounds cool and I looked, no one in my town has released any books in the Go Hunting section, so now I have to!

Tuesday
Number of books I've read today: read from one, listened to another on audio.
Total number of books I've read: still haven't finished one.
Books: Let the Devil Sleep and Criminal.
Challenge: Relocate! Hosted by The Grammarian's Review:  Use your current read. Now relocate the characters! How does this change the story?
My Answer: I'm reading Let the Devil Sleep which takes place in the Northeast, and right now the cold weather is acting as an atmosphere for the book. So, I'm taking the characters to...
Hawaii!  Retired NYPD officer Dave Gurney is now having to deal with the Good Shepard killer who instead of targeting rich Mercedes drivers in the past, will now have hunted down rich boat owners.  Gurney's injuries from the previous book are still bothering him, but the sunshine and tourists make his ill temper even worse.  I can see his NY attitude really being put to test by calmer, more laid back Hawaii 5.0. ;)

Wednesday
Number of books I've read today: Finished 1, listened to part of another
Total number of books I've read: Just one.
Books: Let the Devil Sleep by John Verdon.  Still listening to Criminal by Karin Slaughter.
Challenge: Word Search at The Musings of Almybnenr!

Thursday
Number of books I've read today: Reading 3, all in progress
Total number of books I've read: Still only finished one
Books: Read from The Raven Boys and Delusion, listened to Criminal
Challenges: Candy by Booksmartie.  She's asking whether we snack while we read (to which I said that I don't really eat while I read, but I sometimes read while I eat.  Meaning that I like to eat out by myself, but I always read while doing so.  My favorite places to do this are Panera, Starbucks and IHOP.  So other than full on meals, I don't do much eating and reading, but I do love curling up with a good book and a hot cup of coffee/tea/hot chocolate).

Friday
Number of books I've read today: Reading 3, all still in progress
Total number of books I've read: Yup, still just the one read completely.  I suck.
Books: Read from The Raven Boys and Delusion, listened to Criminal

Saturday
Number of books I've read today: Still reading 3 at once.
Total number of books I've read: 1, which is the loneliest number... in a Readathon
Books Still reading from The Raven Boys and Delusion, listened to Criminal

Sunday
Number of books I've read today:
Total number of books I've read:
Books:

*Goal post template provided by Bout of Books

Pin It!

13 comments:

  1. Good luck! I'd participate again, but I'm going to be watching my niece all next week and writeoncon is happening. BUT, I'll be in Henrico if you want to come over for lunch and we need to go celebrate Kim's bday. Her pressie arrived yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We definitely need to hang out for Kim's birthday!! And lunch would be nice, it feels like it's been forever since we hung out!

      Delete
  2. Awesome that you are featuring a re-read for this read-a-thon. There are several books I've been thinking about re-reading. I bet The Raven Boys is going to be awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - you're going to be busy!! Loved the last readathon but I don't have my laptop for a week and blogging on my phone is driving me crazy.
    Buy Kim a birthday drink for me:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for Readathons! I admire your goals of commenting on every participants post, that's a lot of people... but if anyone can do it, you can!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you have a great week participating in all of this! I plan on finishing Circle of Friends this week too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with this! I thought about participating too, but I already need to read 3 books this week (which is not easy for me) and I think all the other aspects of the readathon (updating my progress, connecting with other bloggers on their blogs and through twitter, participating in challenges, etc.) will cut into my reading time and I need to basically just READ this week. But good luck--you can do it!

    Also, I can't wait to see what you think of Origin. I want to read that so bad!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with your list! You have some great looking books on there, I'm interested in seeing what you think of Origins and Carnival of Souls.
    Thanks for stopping by!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have some awesome books to read. Good luck! I'm interested in seeing what you think of the Raven Boys. Hope you enjoy all of your wonderful books.

    Ange @ Moonlight Reader

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your answer to the relocation challenge! It sounds like it'd make for a really great TV show. ;D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with your goals! Only heard of The Raven Boys. Let the Devil Sleep sounds interesting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep up the good work Kate! I loved the question about relocating the characters from your book! It would be funny to take a book like Shiver and relocate it to Antarctica...a place where you can never escape from the cold!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva