Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Gone Girl Review

Gone Girl
by Gillian Flynn
From Goodreads:
Marriage can be a real killer.

One of the most critically acclaimed suspense writers of our time, New York Times bestseller Gillian Flynn takes that statement to its darkest place in this unputdownable masterpiece about a marriage gone terribly, terribly wrong. The Chicago Tribune proclaimed that her work “draws you in and keeps you reading with the force of a pure but nasty addiction.” Gone Girl’s toxic mix of sharp-edged wit and deliciously chilling prose creates a nerve-fraying thriller that confounds you at every turn.

On a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears from their rented McMansion on the Mississippi River. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer?

As the cops close in, every couple in town is soon wondering how well they know the one that they love. With his twin sister, Margo, at his side, Nick stands by his innocence. Trouble is, if Nick didn’t do it, where is that beautiful wife? And what was in that silvery gift box hidden in the back of her bedroom closet?

With her razor-sharp writing and trademark psychological insight, Gillian Flynn delivers a fast-paced, devilishly dark, and ingeniously plotted thriller that confirms her status as one of the hottest writers around.

My Thoughts:  I listened to Gone Girl on audio, mostly in my car, but towards the end I was listening to it everywhere I went- bed, gym, grocery shopping, etc.  I came thisclose to just buying a copy on my Kindle because I had to know what was happening next!

Gone Girl is one of those books that really engages your mind.  Every time I stopped listening for the day, my mind would start to ponder what was going to happen next.  Every time Nick or Amy did something and things got worse, I'd brace myself for the possible outcomes of those situations.  I actually lost some sleep one night because I couldn't stop thinking about an impromptu press conference one character did, and I found myself reacting strongly to scene where Nick is speaking at a vigil for his missing wife and is basically sucker punched by his neighbor.

I even made my husband listen to some of the audio book when I had to pick him up at work one night, and I was eager to share the plot with him.  I will definitely have my book club read this when it comes out on paperback, because I want to discuss this book, I need to discuss this book. Amy and Nick, Go and Desi, Jeff and Greta, Noelle and every freaking character is worth dismantling and discussing.

I will definitely be re-reading this book in the future!  One of the best books I've read this year.

Gone Girl gets a Midnight Book Rating of:
 The cover gets a Midnight Cover Rating of:
I like it, but... the hair just seems... damaged, in a way that I cannot imagine Amy would ever let her hair look like on her anniversary.  It's not a bad cover, it's just not one I'm in love with.

I really want to read Flynn's other books, anyone read them that can give me some advice on which my next one should be?
Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. Yes it really engages your mind and I think I liked that best about the book. I didn't particularly like the characters either, but I still connected with them at different times.

    I read both of Flynn's previous books. Here is my review of Sharp Objects:
    http://www.midnytereader.com/2011/08/sharp-objects.html

    Here is my review of Dark Places:
    http://www.midnytereader.com/2011/09/dark-places.html

    I liked Dark Places a tad more than Sharp Objects just because I felt so mind f'ed, I didn't know what was going on. She wrote Sharp Objects first and I would recommend (personally) reading that one first and then Dark Objects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read this author but I'm happy to hear that you loved this book so much! I'll have to check it out sometime

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm. I think I'll have to check this one out. I'm putting it on my to-read list, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoyed this one as I have with all of Flynn's books. She builds such warped characters. It seemed like each chapter had it's own little cliffhangers. It was hard to put down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't thought about reading this one but since you loved it so much I've added it to my TBR list! Great review, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you know I will be reading this book. Probably soon because everyone raves about it.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva