Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Want To Be A Good Author? Just Give Birth!

From Goodreads
Recently one of my favorite authors, Maeve Binchy, passed away.  I discovered her writing back in college after seeing the movie Circle of Friends that was based on her novel.  It was pretty much instant love between the two of us.  Over the years I have introduced her to my friends, and Courtney of Abducted by Books wrote a lovely post about the loss of Binchy. I really felt the world was mourning with me, but it turns out that one person, one author, was scheming to sell books by using controversy to attract attention.*

*At least that is my opinion, but I'm childless so obviously my opinion lacks emotional depth.

Last night, as I was watching the Olympics and catching up with my Google Reader, I came across Cuddlebuggery's Buzz Worthy News 6th August 2012 post.  If you haven't visited her site, you need to, because it's awesome.  There were lots of little bits and pieces of news, some topics that really caught my eye, but then I saw the mention of Maeve Binchy and Amanda Craig.  Inner turmoil, acid reflux and ranting commenced.

Amanda Craig wrote an article for the Telegraph entitled If Maeve Binchy Had Been a Mother..., in which she suggests that Binchy's novels, wonderful and charming as they were, would have been better if Binchy had been a mother.  Because, according to Craig, women authors must have children in order to truly understand the depths of love.

Now I have a lot of problems with that supposition.  That in order to be the best author you can be you must give birth.  Does that mean men authors are lacking since they don't have vaginas?  I know the whole idea of writing what you know is English Lit 101, but I'm grateful for authors that use their imagination.  Jane Austen never married, never had children, and yet she created one of the most enduring love stories of all time.  Of course, I'm sure Craig would concede that Pride and Prejudice is a good novel, it just would have been better if Austen had squeezed a baby out her vajayjay. 

I'm 35 years old, married and childless.  I would love to have children, but whether or not I'll ever experience the joys of motherhood remains to be seen.  Curious as to Binchy's opinion on having kids, I Googled it.  Something Craig perhaps should have done before dumping on the author for her childless status.  I found an article by Melanie Notkin from the Huffington Post and she reports here that Maeve Binchy did want to be a mother, but due to infertility was unable to do so- and she was citing Binchy's own words.

I may be taking Craig's opinion a bit personally.  I did restrain myself from sending hate email, but only because I was able to call Courtney up and rant last night.  I've never read any of Ms. Craig's six novels, so I have no idea what kind of author she is.  Maybe her writing did improve after she had children, perhaps she was a shallow, empty husk until she could be called Mommy.  But in her essay she just comes across as petty and jealous.  This is the last two lines from the Telegraph essay:
Binchy, whose first novel was about a 20-year friendship between two women, didn’t need the experience of motherhood to write about love and friendship in a way that charmed millions. But she might have dug deeper, charming less but enlightening more, had she done so.
It just feels like Craig is using the word charming as an insult.  Because it's not enough to be a beloved, popular author, you have to hit people over the head with enlightenment and deep, maternal love.  Ooookay. 

Now I want to make clear, I think having children, loving them and raising up wonderful tiny humans is a truly amazing experience and I have seen motherhood (and fatherhood) change some of my friends and family for the better, but it seems to me that a good author is successful because they are able to empathize with people and create characters that fully realized even if they haven't experienced all the characters have.  Not just because they gave birth.

So am I just being sensitive?  Am I wrong to find Amanda Craig's essay as an insult to Maeve Binchy (who, again, is dead and can't counter Ms. Craig's article)?  Does the simple act (simple for some people) of reproducing truly make for superior authors?  Or is Craig just stirring up the pot to get attention for her latest novel?  After all, she certainly got my attention. There no doubt is many forms of love, but does the love of children trump the love of spouse, or family or humanity in general? Discuss! ;)

Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. Say what? I'm not even sure what to say except... wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. I'm insulted on several levels: on behalf of Maeve Binchy, on behalf of women who can't have children, on behalf of women who choose not to have children, on behalf of men who don't have vaginas, and personally insulted as well.

      Delete
  2. No, it is offensive. She has a point that becoming a mother (or father) will allow you new experiences that will enable you to dig deeper as a writer. HOWEVER, she is also saying that becoming a parent is the only experience that matters. Other experiences can make you dig deeper, can make you a better writer, but you'll dig deeper in a different way. Having kids will make me a different person, but not having kids does not mean that I can't lead a life that is just as fulfilling and loving and meaningful. Not having kids will not take value from my life. It will just add a different kind of value. And that is okay. I am offended that a writer (who wants another writer to dig deeper)obviously lacks empathy and the creativity to imagine a life outside her own.

    FYI, I don't know if I want kids. But if I have them, it sure as hell won't be because I need validation. My life is meaningful and worth living regardless of what decision I make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you to both of you for being able to coherently put your thoughts into words! I knew there was a reason I liked you guys!

      Delete
  3. Ugh, really? This ticks me off too! Grrr. Excuse me while I fume.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You already know how i feel on this subject but I just wanted to say that you wrote a great post! I know it had to have been hard for you to restrain yourself but the post was well thought out and concise. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a mother and I think this is very offensive. First of all, what about the people who can't have children? Or the people that adopt? Or the men? I just don't understand how people (especially adults) can't understand that other people live different lives, make different choices, and have different experiences. Just because I lived my life one way doesn't mean that it's the right way for everyone. People need to quit thinking that their way is the only way and that others are inferior to them simply because they are different. The world would be such a better place if there was a little more empathy and less judgement...

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva