Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Cycle of the Werewolf Readalong

 

I'm a bit behind, but I'm catching up!  My awesome friend, Midnyte Reader, is hosting Cycle of the Werewolf readalong (and seriously if you're trying hard to meet that Goodreads challenge, then this is perfect, fast read... which I know isn't usually associated with  Stephen King books, but trust me on this one!).  These are the halfway questions and my answers!

Questions:
1. If you have the version that is illustrated, what do you think of it?  Do you think it enhances or detracts from the story?
I do have the illustrated version (although mine is the paperback version, not the awesome limited hardcover one).  I love the pictures, and I really think they help bring Tarker's Mill to life. 

2. What do you think of using the calender year and its full moons as the platform for the story?

Again, I think it works really well.  This could have easily been a long, bloated book, but I think the break up of the months is clever for a werewolf story.  Plus, the first several months, the attacks on the townspeople really helps to introduce the reader to Tarker's Mill and the type of people that live there. 

3. "Love is like dying."  This is the last sentence in February when Stella Randolph is faced with the werewolf.  What are your thoughts on these metaphors? (Love, death, werewolves.)

I don't know.  I'm so used to the vampire metaphor, but I've rarely found werewolves attractive.  Usually in the debate between the two, I'll take the vampire 9 out of 10 times.  Unless I can get them both in one person, like Michael in Underworld, the perfect werewolf-vampire hybrid, and played by hottie Scott Speedman.   I do think love gets overly romanticized, and if you've ever read a romance novel you know that dying for love is a big theme.  Maybe werewolves are the more violent and physical kind of longing for love?  

4. King again uses Tarker's Mills as a kind of character.  Thoughts?
King likes his small towns!  I think there's lots of reasons to use a town like a character- partly because a small town is isolated, increasing the fear, but also because most of us can recognize the types of people that live there.  There are plenty of books that I read that could be set anywhere, the towns are so generic- a lot of times I can't even tell where they're set- and I prefer books that have a strong sense of place. 

5. What do you think of King's use of character portrayal? Too much, too little?

Okay, I cannot be unbiased when it comes to Stephen King.  Whatever he wants to write is usually pretty alright with me.  I tend to have blind loyalty when it comes to my favorite things- be they authors, friends or my Starbucks order.

6. What do you think of the Reverand's dream?
This is a hard one to answer, mostly because I've already read the book.  Although, some times a nightmare is just the result of eating too much before bedtime... which also causes weight gain.  So, don't eat before bedtime to avoid fat and werewolf nightmares.  That is all. 

 
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I thought Gabriel in Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause was pretty sexy.

    Small towns are the perfect setting for supernatural things, aren't they! They are great for werewolves, because when you change at full moon, it's not so fun in the city. Waking up in the dog pound really sucks :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your thoughtful answers. I have found that werewolves can be a metaphor for the animalistic side of human nature and sexuality. I love your answers on the small towns especially. Yes, the feeling of isolation but also that we can relate to the quirkiness of a small town.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva