Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The Madman's Daughter Review

The Madman's Daughter
by Megan Shepherd
Genre: YA (Book 1 in a series)
Format: ARC from Around the World Arc Tours, publication date 01.29.13
Midnight Minute: A YA re-imagining of the classic Dr. Moreau's Island.
From Goodreads:
 In the darkest places, even love is deadly.

Sixteen-year-old Juliet Moreau has built a life for herself in London—working as a maid, attending church on Sundays, and trying not to think about the scandal that ruined her life. After all, no one ever proved the rumors about her father's gruesome experiments. But when she learns he is alive and continuing his work on a remote tropical island, she is determined to find out if the accusations are true.

Accompanied by her father's handsome young assistant, Montgomery, and an enigmatic castaway, Edward—both of whom she is deeply drawn to—Juliet travels to the island, only to discover the depths of her father's madness: He has experimented on animals so that they resemble, speak, and behave as humans. And worse, one of the creatures has turned violent and is killing the island's inhabitants. Torn between horror and scientific curiosity, Juliet knows she must end her father's dangerous experiments and escape her jungle prison before it's too late. Yet as the island falls into chaos, she discovers the extent of her father's genius—and madness—in her own blood.

Inspired by H. G. Wells's classic The Island of Dr. Moreau, The Madman's Daughter is a dark and breathless Gothic thriller about the secrets we'll do anything to know and the truths we'll go to any lengths to protect.


Midnight Thoughts:
~ The story begins at King's College, and in particular features the medical program.  I've read several fiction and non-fiction books that deal with the early beginnings of modern medicine, and for some reason I find it both barbaric and fascinating. 
~ At 10, Juliet's father is labeled a madman and disappears, leaving she and her mother at the mercy of late 1800's English society... so her mom becomes Fantine, and Juliet becomes an older Cosette.  Sadly, there is no singing, and definitely no castle on a cloud. I may have Les Miz on the brain...
~ Juliet is smart and capable, despite her circumstances she hasn't been beaten down by life.  
~ Consumption!  Someone dies of consumption, it's all very sad and tragic.  Of course, in those times it was also very realistic. 
~ I love that on the back of the book (of the ARC) it says that the trilogy was acquired in a "heated auction".  You go, Balzer & Bray!  I bet it was a lot like Storage Wars, and I am eagerly awaiting TLC's newest hit show featuring publishing houses doling out the big bucks for the next Big Novel. 
~ Obviously at some point Juliet must board a ship and go to her daddy's island and the captain is all "women are bad luck!" and I just roll my eyes.  I've never understood this particular superstition because winds die down, rocks break the hull, storms suddenly manifest and tear up ships.  None of these things have to do with vajayjays. 
~ Dr. Moreau is one crazy bastard, and trust me, this is not a spoiler.  The man practically bathes in Bat Shiz Bubble Bath.  
~ The book is a bit on the slow side, but I found it compelling enough to get me through the slow times.  I haven't read Dr. Moreau's Island, but I'm familiar enough with the story to know what was coming.  Even though this book is directed at YA, it will appeal to an older audience. 
~ Yes, there is a bit of a love triangle, although the focus is on Juliet's relationship with her crazy papa. I liked this triangle because to me it made sense.  One girl, the only girl on the island who's of age, and two young men. Of course there's going to be feelings and hormones. 
~ Despite kind of knowing the story, The Madman's Daughter still managed to surprise me a little at the end, and I'm wondering where the trilogy is going, since the first book deals with what happens in the original story.
~ How gorgeous is this cover?  Seriously, I'm in love!  I will definitely be purchasing this book just for the cover!
~ Juliet has an illness, which I assume is diabetes, that she's able to control thanks to her crazy genius, and it just impresses me how much medicine has changed our lives.  
~ I know I've said that Dr. Moreau is a crazy bastard, but he's also a rat bastard.  For reals. 
~ When things go bad, Juliet's dad is able to detach completely from his work, and it echoes the coldness with which he was able to leave his family. So add cold bastard to crazy and rat, okay?
~ Alice kind of won my heart, and of all the islanders, she was easily my favorite. 



Timeless Characters:

Juliet Moreau- grows up with a loving mother and a genius father, but hers is a story or riches to rags.  Has a very scientific mind. 

Lucy Radcliffe- Juliet's bff, suitably silly and flirty.  Although she's a good friend, she's in sharp contrast to Juliet.  I have a feeling we'll see her again.
Adam Radcliffe- Lucy's cousin, and illustrates just how vast the difference from J's past and her present. 
Montgomery- originally a servant to Dr. Moreau and Juliet's childhood friend, he is now a young man with his own skills.  And he's a hottie. 
Balthasar- disfigured servant of Moreau and Montgomery, he is one of the few islanders who can pass in human society... mostly.
Dr. Moreau- I think we've established that he is Juliet's crazy, cold, rat bastard of a father.  Brilliant as he is insane.  
Edward Prince- castaway, and as much as an outsider on Dr. M's island as Juliet is. But like Montgomery, he's got his secrets.
Alice- islander, beautiful young woman with a harelip that makes her shy, seems to care a great deal for Montgomery. 
Jaguar- one of the more "wild" islanders that Juliet encounters. 
Caesar- let's agree that this is not a good name to give to any humanoids, ever.  He's the "minister" of the island.  
There's lots more islanders, but if you're familiar with Shakespeare, than you already know their names.


Midnight Moment:
There's two Midnight moments for me, the first occurs early on, when Juliet goes to the college after hours and comes upon the rogue medical students.  The second moment is when Juliet' spies on her father once she's on the island and fully learns what he's been up to.  Also, Edward's past is fairly mind boggling.



Stop The Clock:
If you have any interest in the story of The Island of Dr. Moreau, or if you like a little historical fiction with your YA (and a fair amount of gothic-ness thrown in), then The Madman's Daughter is for you.   It's a little slow moving, but the pay off is worth it.  Beware, the book is fairly gruesome!



Megan Shepherd— Website |Megan Shepherd





The Madman's Daughter gets a Midnight Book Rating of: 
Pin It!

7 comments:

  1. I have really been wanting to read this one! Looks like it might be just as good as I expected!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to read this one, but I have no idea when I'll get to it. But I can fully sport your idea for a show about publishers going at it storage wars style. That would be awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1 - I am now watching storage wars and I'm blaming you. 2 - Women are bad luck, because the men fight over them. I'm assuming here from all the books I've read where all the men chase/protect/fight over the insipid protag. A captain can't have that shit on his boat. 3 - I may try this in the next few months to stretch my boundaries. Not my normal cup of tea, but I think I might like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with a lot of what Steph wrote, except that I don't watch Storage Wars. I might read this to break me out of my own comfort zone...someday that is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I bet it was a lot like Storage Wars, and I am eagerly awaiting TLC's newest hit show featuring publishing houses doling out the big bucks for the next Big Novel." HA! Yes! It should be called "America's Next Big Novel" and it would be THE show for book bloggers and authors to watch! Get on it, TLC!

    "The man practically bathes in Bat Shiz Bubble Bath." LOL! You always crack me up!

    I've been wanting to read this, so I'm so glad you liked it! I haven't read The Island of Dr. Moreau or seen the movie, but I've always wanted to. I'll have to get on that...

    Great review, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got this on my TBR list. It's not high on the list but I do want to get it to before the Spring is over at least. Looking forward to it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva