Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Book Blogger Confessions: Quitting?


Book Blogger Confessions is a meme that allows book bloggers to discuss issues unique to what we encounter in the blogging world. Every 1st and 3rd Monday of the month we will post a question and invite you to answer, comment and discuss opinions and different views.

Please keep the dialogue courteous. No bashing!

If you would like to participate in this meme sign up and please feel free to to grab the button to include in your post with a link to For What It's Worth Reviews or at Midnyte Reader.

Question: We've discussed blogging slumps before but have you ever seriously considered throwing in the towel and quitting blogging?  If so, what changed your mind?  Did you discuss it with other bloggers?

Answer: No, I've never honestly considered quitting book blogging.  I haven't been in a reading slump in years (mostly due to all the awesome books I've discovered in the 3 years I've been blogging), but I do find myself in reviewing slumps.  There have been times over the course of my blog that I haven't posted much, but I would say for the last year or so I've been more active.  Going to BEA last year really solidified that this is something I want to do, that this is an online community that I want to be part of. 

I've learned to not be too hard on myself.  Do I wish that I had a big following and boxes of books arriving at my door?  Partly.  But not enough to invest the time and money that it would take to do giveaways and contests and daily posts.  

One reason that I participate in an ARC tour is that it has forced me to review on a schedule, plus it brings books my way that otherwise I'd have to wait to read (and because I don't have endless supplies of money I'd have to go to the library and I'm pretty sure that the Library Police have a wanted poster of me prominently displayed, as I suck at returning books on time). Writing reviews is still a struggle, but I have a review template now and it's making it easier.  I gave up trying to sum up the books and mostly just focused on characters and observations.  I take notes of books I read, and all in all, I find I'm remembering books a lot better. 

I never thought when I started this blog that it would stick.  I've started lots of blogs and never did a thing with them- my blog Movie Hussy, started the same time as Midnight Book Girl, still only has the one post.  I always say that I'd consider quitting if my blog starts feeling like work, but that's not entirely true because blogging is work, but it's work I'm happy to do.  And once I was blogging for over a year, I treated myself to a blog design, which made it all the more real.  Midnight Book Girl is no longer just a blog, it's part of my identity.  So unless I start watching massive amounts of tv and decide books are lame, I just can't see myself quitting book blogging.  

What about you? 
Pin It!

15 comments:

  1. +JMJ+

    I've been thinking of quitting, too, not because it has been feeling like work (which I don't mind any more than you do) but because it has started feeling monotonous. The only books I've read since October have been for my blog, and I find that I don't like that. Even when I was majoring in English Lit and had several texts to read at a time, I always had another book or two on the side that wasn't for class. So to have all my current reading be for the sake of reviews or readalongs feels a little wrong.

    Like you, I've been blogging for years and think of it as part of my identity now, so even if I quit reviewing books, I doubt I'll stop blogging entirely. My "compromise" with myself is to have a book moratorium for a few months and only review movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't thought of quitting because it has become too much a part of me, but I have been cutting down on accepting requests.

    I have so many promised reviews that I need to get those done first.

    I enjoy blogging and mostly meeting others.

    Would I ever quit? Probably not.

    GREAT post.

    THANKS.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great answer! I completely agree with you that while it would be nice to be a big blogger and get all those boxes of books I don't want to put forth the effort to be that blogger (nor do I want that responsibility) so I'm happy with where I am now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree this community rocks and I have done that with reading a book on a tour. It made me read it sooner than later.
    I love to read but all the reviews sometimes stresses me out . I have cut back on requests too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, exactly! Sometimes when I get stressed about school, I start thinking about the things in my life I can cut for more time. And I think about the blog, but then I NEVER cut it. I like being a part of the community. I like that, even though it's work, it's something I enjoy doing. It's something in my life that I'm working at that keeps me from getting burned out on everything else. I like reading other blogs and making new friends and sometimes, it's about the closest thing to social interaction that I get (if I'm holed up for days working on a research paper that I procrastinated... or something).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I agree that while it would be nice to have a huge number of followers and receive big boxes of books from publishers, I wouldn't want that responsibility or have to put in the necessary work. Glad that you're not quitting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I didn't feel like quitting but sometimes I do. I think about taking notes while reading but I can't decide whether that would just make reading less or more enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've definitely considered quitting blogging over the last few months. I love the community and the friends I've made, and I enjoy writing some posts - stuff like Top Ten Tuesday, and chatty off-the-cuff posts - but when it comes to reviews and sitting down to write proper discussion posts I find I just keep stalling. I'm working six days a week and sometimes I have a long run where all I want to do in my spare time is watch DVD box sets and sleep!

    At the moment I'm starting to change how I do certain things to make it more enjoyable for me as a blogger while still keeping my content relevant for my readers, but it's still in the back of my mind as an option. Sometimes I just want to read and move on instead of having to think about how I'm going to write about it afterwards! *sighs heavily* I think I might go off in search of more of these answers, see what other people have to say about it. It's nice to know I'm not the only one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you won't be quitting blogging!!! And I agree, I am not going to put in the energy just to get a few free books. I do go to the library a lot and I always end up owing money. But I figure it's like my donation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's interesting because BEA had the opposite effect on me. I felt so overwhelmed afterwards. SO many books! I'm better at understanding my limitations now and I don't worry about getting books or trying to review as well as other people anymore.
    Once I found that balance blogging has been fun for me again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great post! I started blogging in 2009 and absolutely love everything about it. I just recently came back from a long hiatus, which affected my blog, A Passion For Books, quite a bit. With some work ill get u it up and running again because would I ever quit blogging?...No way. Reading is my passion and my blog and being involved with the blogging community allows me to talk books all day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great post! I started blogging in 2009 and absolutely love everything about it. I just recently came back from a long hiatus, which affected my blog, A Passion For Books, quite a bit. With some work ill get u it up and running again because would I ever quit blogging?...No way. Reading is my passion and my blog and being involved with the blogging community allows me to talk books all day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm just warning you now that if you ever decide books are lame...I don't think our friendship would survive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm glad you're here to stay! I am too. Sometimes I get pretty overwhelmed (especially when I get so behind on commenting like now), and you're right, it is work, but it's fun and it's such a great community to be a part of. Hopefully we'll be around for a long time! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah...thought about it after I had my baby - but I figured - I still read and I still really enjoy blogging with my girl April...so why quit? I know I don't have as much time now that I have my baby but I still make it work.
    Pabkins @ My Shelf Confessions

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva