Monday, October 12, 2009

Another Monday Morning Suckfest, Bring on the Memes!

 As I have nothing earth shattering to blog about I figured I'd do a meme.  It's just a generic one, but anything to fill up my Monday morning is worth it's weight in gold.




1. One book that changed your life?

There are actually two books that changed my life- Firestarter by Stephen King. My Dad, who was a prolific bathroom reader, left this gem for me to discover when I was still in grade school. I struggled through it, and probably didn't understand half of it at the time. But it was the first book I read that was intended for grown ups and it made me feel powerful. It also convinced me never to participate in medical studies as it left me with a deep fear that to do so would lead to me clawing my own eyes out. The other book that changed my life was JK Rowling's Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Once I reached the vaulted age of 20 I pretty much stayed away from the Young Adult section of book stores. Occasionally I would dare a quick perusal if no one was around but if I dared buy one I felt ashamed. But then Harry Potter came along, and suddenly it occurred to me that I was only punishing myself by banning YA books from my life. And honestly, YA books have come a long way from when I was a teen. Back then the only author I didn't feel talked down to was Christopher Pike. RL Stine and others (I was lucky enough to be an active reader during the Teen Thriller years) seemed to be writing for a younger audience. Now, however, most YA authors aren't afraid to write how things really are. Any lingering shame was washed away by the Twilight series. My mom loves those books.

2. One book you have read more than once?


A Tangled Web by LM Montgomery.  I was never a huge Anne of Green Gables fan, but for some reason this book was pure magic for me.  I loved the story of the Darks and Penhallows, it was like reading some kind of soap opera (minus the sex).  It's a book that begs to be read aloud, and those are always my favorite ones, because it's almost poetry.  I've read this book many, many times.  Sadly, I've lost my copy and it's out of print.  But I plan on Hubs ordering it for me for Christmas. 




3. One book you would want on a desert island?
Just one book?  I guess it would have to be the unedited version of The Stand by Stephen King.  There's so many layers of that story, and it's such a wonderfully long book, that it would never get boring.
4. One book that made you laugh?

      My book club read I Love You, Beth Cooper by  Larry Doyle last year, and it was like a John Hughes film translated on to the page.  It had me laughing out loud.  One book I love to give as a gift is The Idiot Girl's Action-Adventure Club by Laurie Notaro, I love all of her books.  Her life is wonderfully clumsy, just like mine!

5. One book that made you cry?
Books make me cry so easily, I get very attached to characters.  A recent book that had me bawling is Jodi Picault's The Pact.  I was a snotty mess when I finished that book.  I usually try to stay away from books written by authors whom I suspect only write to make you cry (*cough* Nicholas Sparks, Lurlene McDaniel *cough*) but even I make mistakes.

6. One book you wish had been written?

Without a doubt, Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. I love to write, but I am very aware that will never create such a wonderful character and that makes me sad.

7. One book you wish had never had been written?
I have read some truly awful books, but I wish no book un-written, maybe just un-read.
8. One book you are currently reading?
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova- actually listening to it on audio, but it's an incredible book. I meant to read this a long time ago, but I had no clue it would be this good. All the hype I'd heard about it is justified. And it's a perfect creepy Halloween read too.
9. One book you have been meaning to read?

I always mean to read more classics, but one book I know I need to read is Dragonfly in Amber by Diana Gabaldon. I really enjoyed the first book in the Outlander series, but the second book is just lingering on my book shelf- staring at me accusingly with it's tangerine orange cover.

10. Now tag five people.

Okay, I'm tagging you, you and you. Oh, and you over there, and you- the one on the laptop. Consider yourselves tagged.
Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I really need to read Anne of Green Gables one day. Soon, I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember sort of reading Anne of Green Gables, but it's probably a book/series that I should re-visit. I read A Tangled Web for the first time when I was older- in high school, so maybe I'd better appreciate dear old Anne nowadays. Besides, sometimes it's good to read a fairly wholesome book as I tend to read a lot of horror/thriller/vampire stories.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva