Saturday, October 17, 2009

My Readathon Pile O' Books



Here it is folks, my readathon book line up!  Mostly spooky tales, and a mix of books that have lingered on my shelf, new books, and even a few "so nice, thought I'd read It twice" book.  Okay, this is my 4th or 5th re-reading of It, but I love it more each time!

Starting at the top and working my way down:

Uncle Montague's Tales of Terror by Chris Priestley- reading this for my book club October selection.  It's a children's book so I expect to breeze through it.

Ripped From a Dream: The Nightmare on Elm Street Omnibus by David Bishop, Christa Faust and Tim Waggoner- I've had this awhile and I've read most of the first story, but it keeps getting lost in the shuffle when I move.  Who better to read about then Freddy Krueger? 

The Vampire Diaries, Vol 1 by LJ Smith- again I've read these books before, but I'm re-reading them for the challenge.  I bought this book over a year ago, and I still have the original books from my high school days, but they have been read so much that I don't trust them in a fast paced readathon.  

Magic For Beginners by Kelly Link- a collection of short stories.  I read and LOVED the first story, the second one not so much- which led to me putting it off in favor of other books, but I like reading short stories, and think it'll give me a sense of accomplishment when I finish it.

20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill- I've heard good things about this short story collection and am currently enjoying Hill's Heart-Shaped Box

The Best of John Bellairs: The House with a Clock in Its Walls; The Figure in the Shadows; The Letter, the Witch, and the Ring by John Bellairs- Again, I bought this last year in October,  but didn't get around to reading it.  THwaCiIW was one of my all time favorite books when I was a kid, and I'm looking forward to discovering some of that old magic.  Plus, it'll be an easy read.

Generation Dead by Daniel Waters- one of my Bookswim rentals.  It's a book I've been wanting to read since it came out, so I thought I'd add it to the readathon pile. 

Shadow on the Dial by Anne Lindbergh- Another way back favorite that I bought recently from ebay.  It's no longer in print, but Lindbergh's books pwned a whole summer for me.  I plan on getting Worry Week and the Hunk-Dory Dairy as soon as I can swing it.

 Serena: A Novel by Ron Rash- another Bookswim rental.  This book might be a little heavy for the readathon, but ever since I read the inside flap at a bookstore when it first came out, I was intrigued.  Since it's on my TBR ASAP pile, I'll try to get to it on the 24th.

Odd Hours by Dean Koontz- for those of you that haven't figured it out yet, I LOVE Odd Thomas.  When this book first came out I read it in a fever, so I think it deserves a re-read.  If you are looking for a great, unputdownable book, I suggest the first book in the series, Odd Thomas.  Easily one of my all time favorite books, and my all time favorite character (sorry, Mr. Darcy!).

The Mammoth Book of Best Horror Comics edited by Peter Normanton- I have been saving this beauty for an occasion such as this.  When I first moved to PA in the 8th grade, one of the things that made it bearable was discovering Tales From the Crypt and The Vault of Horror comic books.  I'm not all about the morbid, people, I also still buy the occasional Betty and Veronica Double Digest (except I won't buy them now because I'm super POed that they had Archie pick Veronica, so unless Betty redeems Reggie I will have nothing further to do with that series.). 

And Finally!:

It by Stephen King- I read It for the first time in 6th grade.  I have loved it ever since.  King just writes kids so freaking well.  I am in awe of his talent and imagination.  I started re-reading this book some months ago, but honestly put it off for cold, chilly season.  Reading it in the summer doesn't have the same effect on me as reading it in the winter, despite the fact that the book takes place in the summer.  

So, what's in your readathon pile?








Pin It!

13 comments:

  1. Uncle Montegue isn't exactly a children's book, but it IS set up like one. It's real easy and fast to read. :D Your pile looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That is a lot of books to read in 24 hours! Great selection too! I'll be cheering everyone on, but can't participate this year. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm also reading some John Bellairs, and am glad to see him somewhere else. I was OBSESSED with THwaCiIW when I was in grade school and got on a Bellairs kick. Don't think I put two and two together to try and "finish" reading a series, I just grabbed and read whatever the library and Weekly Reader (remember that? Loved it!) had for sale. Looks like a great pile, I hope you get through most, if not all of them. I've got a big stinking pile to get through too, but never having done this before, I wanted to give myself lots of options.

    Good luck, and see you next weekend for the Read-a-Thon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! You are the only other person I've met who read Stephen King's It in middle school. I just adored that book when I read it in fifth grade. I must have read it five or six times since.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice stack of books! I loved John Bellairs when I was little, and on my last reread of House with Clock in its Walls, it still creeped me out - and I'm much older now! I've got Odd Thomas in my tbr - I read an Odd Thomas graphic novel and loved Koontz' piece about Odd Thomas at the back of the book the best.

    Good luck with the read-a-thon - I'll be cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad someone else has a pile that looks overly ambitious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so excited for the readathon, I can hardly wait! I won't get to be online the whole time, which is a bummer, but I'll tweet by phone my progress. I have no illusions that I'll read everything in my pile, or even half my pile for that matter, but I want as many options as possible. It's probably a good thing I'm picking a lot of spooky stuff- it'll help keep me up if I'm afraid to close my eyes (hence the Nightmare on Elm Street books). I can't wait to see everyone's progress, and I appreciate everyone who'll be cheering the readers along. The book blogging community is so special, and I feel honored to be part of it! Feel free to list your link of Readathon books, I'll even tweet your link!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, you've got some horror stories going! Good luck with the read-a-thon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. good luck. You can never go wrong with Dean Koontz! Enjoy your books.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, I'm not into scary books, so I don't think we have any crossovers on our lists!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ronnica, lol, I can't help it, I love a good, safe scare.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva