Friday, October 9, 2009

Friday Firsts with Graceling

Please bear with me, this is my very first blogger meme!



Here's the rules of the meme (copied word for word from wellreadreveiw):

  • Grab the book you are currently reading and open to the first page.
  • Write down the first sentence in the first paragraph.
  • Create a blog post with this information. (Make sure to include the title & author of the book you are using. Even an ISBN helps!)
  • Did this first sentence help draw you into the story? Why or why not?
My current read is Graceling by Kristin Cashore

First sentence: In these dungeons the darkness was complete, but Katsa had a map in her mind.

As far as first sentences goes this one is not particularly engaging.  The first half is promising- ohh, dark dungeons, but the second half is less intriguing. This sentence is not what made me want to read the book, but it certainly didn't turn me off of it either.  I started it after finishing Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins, so I'm in the mood for teenagers and dystopias. So far the book reminds me a bit of Serenity (the movie) with a bit of Inkworld and Hunger Games thrown in.  Not that it feels like a copy, I appreciate it as its own story apart from all the others.  These are just my first impressions.  I have high hopes that I'll like this book, as I've read many positive reviews of it.  Hopefully I'll have it done by Sunday!

I don't always pay attention to first sentences, but occasionally one will really catch my eye. I normally try to give a book picked from the book shelves a page or two before I decide to read on or re-shelve. I'll have to do a little research and do a post on some of my more favorite opening sentences.  Are there any particular ones that stick with you?





Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Agree with you that this first sentence didn't really grab me, but your first impressions did! I also like to give a book a page or two to grab me before deciding to reshelve it or keep reading. This one sounds like an interesting book. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate, I think I will participate in this meme as well. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    I like the one I'm reading now by Daphne du Maurier in REBECCA: Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alexia, So far, Graceling is a great read. I only work part time, but sadly all of it is on the weekends. If I had the time I think I could read this book straight through.

    Alice- I've seen Rebecca, but I really want to read the book! That is a fantastic first sentence.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva