Tuesday, April 20, 2010

20th Century Ghosts

Yes, Joe Hill is the son of Stephen King.  And yes, he's a chip off the old block and this apple landed pretty close the King tree.  But Hill is his own writer, and although his genre is similar to his famous father's, he is unique and a master of the craft of short stories in his own right.

20th Century Ghosts is a short story collection that's just awesome.  Every story is different, but all of them are page turners. There's something for everyone here- from the Kafka lovers (You Will Hear the Locust Sing), to those that like a little bitter with their sweet (Pop Art), super hero with a twist (The Cape), or your standard thriller (The Black Phone).  I can honestly say that Hill has written some amazing short stories, and even the ones that fall short of amazing are still pretty damn good.  I dare you to read Pop Art and not cry.  Go ahead, I'll wait.

(pause)

I told you it'd make you cry.  Don't let the name of the book fool you, there's so much more than ghosts and horror (and I use the term loosely, it's no late night slasher film on Fear Net) here, there's a lot of dark beauty.  Writer's will tell you, short stories are hard to write.  Joe Hill makes it look easy.  Add it to your TBR pile, move it to the front, thank me later.  Or wait for October's readathon, if you can, because the tales 20th Century Ghosts will blow your mind and you won't be able to put it down.

20th Century Ghosts gets a Midnight Book Rating of full on, breathless reading, Midnight.  The clock has struck the hour and you're under you blanket reading with a flashlight held in trembling hands.


Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. I really want to read this book & your review makes me want to read it even more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok Chicky, you've convinced me. It's now on my list. I didn't know he was King's kid. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This collection sounds excellent! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I picked this book up a few weeks ago at a used book sale and cannot wait to read it! As soon as I finish The Stand, I will be reading a Hill . . . Just can't decide which one to start with now that I have all of his!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this book in my TBR and want to read this soon!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment, you know you want to! Here's hoping that your next book is a Midnight Read!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Attic Oddities kit by Irene Alexeeva